Subject: Fw: Notification of provisional credit: Case ID #PP-001-879-791-848 - A-A001
From: "LLPS Customer Service" <[email-masked]>
To: "Amber Blais" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 22:02:44 -0400

Thank you,
Michael B
LLPS

Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2012 10:02 PM
Subject: Notification of provisional credit: Case ID #PP-001-879-791-848 - A-A001

Subject: Notification of provisional credit: Case ID #PP-001-879-791-848 - A-A001
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 14:29:33 -0700

Hello Labor Law Poster Service,

Thanks for the information you provided on this chargeback. As always,
PayPal will help you dispute unwarranted chargebacks, so we've contacted
the buyer's card issuer and opened a dispute on your behalf.

Usually, when a buyer files a chargeback and the card issuer reverses the
charge, we temporarily hold the funds until the issue is resolved. However,
because of your low dispute rate and consistent sales volume, we're
allowing you access to the funds while we investigate the chargeback. We
want to extend this courtesy to our valued customers, because we know how
inconvenient it can be to have your funds held.  

Please note: This benefit may not be available for future claims.

If the card issuer decides the case in your favor, the funds will remain in
your account. If the card issuer decides in the buyer's favor, an amount
equal to the disputed transaction will be removed from your account. In
accordance with the PayPal User Agreement, a chargeback fee may also be
assessed.

Be aware that it can take up to 75 days for PayPal to know the outcome of
the case.  We'll notify you if the case is decided in the buyer's favor. 

-----------------------------------
Transaction Details
-----------------------------------

Transaction date: Jun 26, 2012
Your transaction ID: 4YM69878SH257854K
Buyer's transaction ID: 4EJ18787SV191221A
Transaction amount: -$125.00 USD
Case number: PP-001-879-791-848

If you have additional information you'd like to submit, please provide it
using the email address or fax number listed below.
Thank you for your patience and cooperation in helping us resolve this
matter as quickly as possible. We appreciate your business and regret that
you experienced a chargeback.

Thanks,

PayPal
Email: [email-masked]
Fax: 402-537-5755

PPID PP1223

Subject: Notification of provisional credit: Case ID #PP-001-879-765-736 - A-A001
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 12:42:57 -0700

Hello Labor Law Poster Service,

Thanks for the information you provided on this chargeback. As always,
PayPal will help you dispute unwarranted chargebacks, so we've contacted
the buyer's card issuer and opened a dispute on your behalf.

Usually, when a buyer files a chargeback and the card issuer reverses the
charge, we temporarily hold the funds until the issue is resolved. However,
because of your low dispute rate and consistent sales volume, we're
allowing you access to the funds while we investigate the chargeback. We
want to extend this courtesy to our valued customers, because we know how
inconvenient it can be to have your funds held.  

Please note: This benefit may not be available for future claims.

If the card issuer decides the case in your favor, the funds will remain in
your account. If the card issuer decides in the buyer's favor, an amount
equal to the disputed transaction will be removed from your account. In
accordance with the PayPal User Agreement, a chargeback fee may also be
assessed.

Be aware that it can take up to 75 days for PayPal to know the outcome of
the case.  We'll notify you if the case is decided in the buyer's favor. 

-----------------------------------
Transaction Details
-----------------------------------

Transaction date: Jul 5, 2012
Your transaction ID: 7MK17578J7794151K
Buyer's transaction ID: 0L011289EJ617645D
Transaction amount: -$125.00 USD
Invoice ID: 424
Case number: PP-001-879-765-736

If you have additional information you'd like to submit, please provide it
using the email address or fax number listed below.
Thank you for your patience and cooperation in helping us resolve this
matter as quickly as possible. We appreciate your business and regret that
you experienced a chargeback.

Thanks,

PayPal
Email: [email-masked]
Fax: 402-537-5755

PPID PP1223