Subject: Fw: Case received: Case ID #PP-001-934-705-224 - A-A001
From: "LLPS Customer Service" <[email-masked]>
To: "Amber Blais" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 10:28:41 -0400

Thank you,
Michael B
LLPS

Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2012 10:28 AM
Subject: Case received: Case ID #PP-001-934-705-224 - A-A001

Subject: Case received: Case ID #PP-001-934-705-224 - A-A001
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 23:34:00 -0700

Hello Michael Bishop,

We were recently notified that one of your buyers filed a chargeback and
asked the credit card issuer to reverse a payment made to you on Jun 26,
2012.

The buyer claims that this purchase was made without authorization to use
the credit card. Their credit card issuer needs additional information from
you about this transaction.

-----------------------------------
Transaction Details
-----------------------------------

Buyer's Transaction ID: 4NC20718BA9832715

Transaction Date:Jun 26, 2012
Transaction Amount:-$125.00 USD
Case #:PP-001-934-705-224
Your Transaction ID: 39222071RL6985449

-----------------------------------
What to Do Next
-----------------------------------

Please respond within 10 days so that we can help resolve this chargeback.
To respond, log in to your PayPal account and go to the Resolution Center
to provide information about this transaction.

The credit card issuer decides if the buyer's claim is legitimate. Once the
credit card issuer receives your information, it may take up to 75 days to
make a final decision.

Because the credit card issuer has reversed the charge for this
transaction, we've placed a temporary hold on the funds associated with
this transaction until the case is resolved. Our user agreement explains
our policies on holding funds.

You can learn more about chargebacks in the Resolution Center tutorials.

-----------------------------------
Other Details
-----------------------------------

There are no other details regarding this transaction at the moment.

Sincerely,

PayPal
Chargeback Department

CB:PP-001-934-705-224:USD125.00:8/1/2012:39222071RL6985449

PPID PP767

Subject: Case received: Case ID #PP-001-934-649-537 - A-A001
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 22:15:30 -0700

Hello Michael Bishop,

We were recently notified that one of your buyers filed a chargeback and
asked the credit card issuer to reverse a payment made to you on Jun 26,
2012.

The buyer claims that this purchase was made without authorization to use
the credit card. Their credit card issuer needs additional information from
you about this transaction.

-----------------------------------
Transaction Details
-----------------------------------

Buyer's Name:DAV-MAR MEDICAL PRODUCTS INC.
Buyer's Transaction ID: 9JH48880NA264270U

Transaction Date:Jun 26, 2012
Transaction Amount:-$125.00 USD
Invoice ID:182
Case #:PP-001-934-649-537
Your Transaction ID: 28287104745518416

-----------------------------------
What to Do Next
-----------------------------------

Please respond within 10 days so that we can help resolve this chargeback.
To respond, log in to your PayPal account and go to the Resolution Center
to provide information about this transaction.

The credit card issuer decides if the buyer's claim is legitimate. Once the
credit card issuer receives your information, it may take up to 75 days to
make a final decision.

Because the credit card issuer has reversed the charge for this
transaction, we've placed a temporary hold on the funds associated with
this transaction until the case is resolved. Our user agreement explains
our policies on holding funds.

You can learn more about chargebacks in the Resolution Center tutorials.

-----------------------------------
Other Details
-----------------------------------

There are no other details regarding this transaction at the moment.

Sincerely,

PayPal
Chargeback Department

CB:PP-001-934-649-537:USD125.00:8/1/2012:28287104745518416

PPID PP767

Subject: Confirmation: We received your documents
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 22:03:18 -0700

Hello Michael Bishop,

This message confirms that we have received the documents you sent to
PayPal regarding Case ID PP-001-804-070-601.

The documents have been successfully attached to your PayPal Account and
will be reviewed shortly.

We review documents in the order in which they are received and generally
require 3 to 5 business days to process these documents. Once we process
your documents, we will contact you about the status of your PayPal Account.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

If you have any questions,  please contact us using this link:

http://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_email_receipt

Thanks,

PayPal 

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you
will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account
and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

PPID PP787

Subject: Confirmation: We received your documents
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 22:03:17 -0700

Hello Michael Bishop,

This message confirms that we have received the documents you sent to
PayPal.

The documents have been successfully attached to your PayPal Account and
will be reviewed shortly.

We review documents in the order in which they are received and generally
require 3 to 5 business days to process these documents. Once we process
your documents, we will contact you about the status of your PayPal Account.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

If you have any questions,  please contact us using this link:

http://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_email_receipt

Thanks,

PayPal 

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you
will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account
and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

PPID PP787