Subject: RE: Complaint #8555224
From: "Susan Martin" <[email-masked]>
To: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Kim Schultz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 09:42:06 -0500

Dear Michael Bishop,

Per your request, I've attached a copy of the original complaint
notification letter that was sent to you back on 4/4/2011. Upon
reviewing the complaint, please respond directly to Kim Schultz either
via email ([email-masked]), fax (414-302-0355), or US Mail
(see address at the top of the letter). If you have any supporting
documentation you feel is relevant to the complaint, please feel free to
include copies along with your response. If the matter has already been
resolved, please let Kim Schultz know this so she can get a final
confirmation from the consumer. 

If you have any further questions, you can reach Kim Schultz directly at
414-847-6056. Thank you for taking the time to address this consumer
complaint.

Sincerely,

Susan Martin

Trade Practice Consultant

Better Business Bureau of Wisconsin

[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 

Ph. 414-847-6037

Fax: 414-302-0355

www.bbb.org <http://www.bbb.org> 

From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, May 09, 2011 4:57 PM
To: Susan Martin
Subject: Fw: Complaint #8555224

Hi Susan.

I received an "Out of the Office" message from Kim Schultz with your
information as the forwarding contact.  I am not sure if Kim will get to
this but I thought I would copy it to you in case she may not be able to
get to it right away.  I appreciate your assistance with this matter as
well.

Thank you,
Michael Bishop

Operations Manager
Labor Law Poster Service
Phone 877-321-4144
Fax 888-442-4144
[email-masked] 

----- Original Message ----- 

From: Mike <mailto:[email-masked]>  

To: [email-masked] 

Sent: Monday, May 09, 2011 5:41 PM

Subject: Complaint #8555224

Hi Kim.

I am in receipt of a letter for a complaint that was filed on 4/4/2011
by Douglas Duncan stating that it was unanswered.  I have searched my
records and do not believe it was forwarded to me so that I could
respond.  It is possible that we have already spoken to the customer and
resolved the issue with them directly.  Regardless, I would like the
opportunity to leave a response if possible.  If you could email the
complaint, I will get you a response within the next few days.  I
appreciate your consideration regarding this matter.

Thank you,
Michael Bishop

Operations Manager
Labor Law Poster Service
Phone 877-321-4144
Fax 888-442-4144
[email-masked]