Subject: BBB CASE#: 13010179, Stephanie Uddin
From: "BBB PROB - BBB of Western Michigan" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 12:09:46 -0500

Hi Michael:

When processing your responses to the unanswered complaints, I noted that
this complaint did not show the actual complaint.  We changed computer
systems after this complaint was processed and for some reason the scanned
document did not show up.  I have attached a copy of the consumer's actual
complaint for your review.

Please review the complaint information and respond further.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Terry Glenn | Trade Practice Supervisor

Tel:  616-774-8236

Fax:  616-774-2014

 <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]  

 <http://www.bbb.org> www.bbb.org | Start With Trust

BBB of Western Michigan, Inc.

40 Pearl NW STE 354

Grand Rapids MI 49503-3026

NOTICE:  This email transmission contains privileged and confidential
information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named
above.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is
prohibited and may be a violation of law.  If you are not the intended
recipient or a person responsible for delivering this message to an intended
recipient, please delete the email and immediately notify the sender via the
email return address.  Thank you.