Subject: Re: Fw: update
From: "Joey Sheets" <[email-masked]>
To: "Mike" <[email-masked]>, "Michael Grove" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 15:35:59 -0400

Hey Mike G.

Yeah the unique identifier required changes to the db and to code.  I made a
copy of the code and called it llps-new and worked on it there until it was
ready to merge into the existing system, which I did last Friday.  I did it
by making my llps-new folder the standard llps folder and moving all your
files that you have changed since I made the llps-new copy.  Luckily we were
working on different files this time.  I have more changes that I will be
working on in the llps-new folder again, and I will probably do the same
thing once those are ready.  How is the credit card encryption stuff
coming?  Where you able to restore the old info from the backup?  What else
do you have on your short term todo list?  Hey could the CustomerID and
CampaignID from the CampaignCustomer table be moved into the CustomerOrder
table. Therefore eliminating one extra join table?  It is such a pain to
always have that extra join table when I am doing Customer to Order
analysis.

Thanks,
Joey

> *From:* Michael Grove <[email-masked]>
> *To:* Mike <[email-masked]>
> *Sent:* Sunday, September 21, 2008 10:41 PM
> *Subject:* Re: update
> ----- Original Message -----
> What can you tell me about this "unique identifier" tracking system?  Is it
> only affecting the database or is it utilizing code as well?
>
> The reason I ask is because I do not want to step on Joey's toes and I am
> sure he does not want to step on mine, but if we are unaware of what each
> other are working on it is hard to avoid.
>
> Mike wrote:
>
> Mike,
> Steve Fata had Joey Sheets implement a "unique identifier" tracking and
> input feature.  I believe he is still in the process of testing and working
> out any kinks.  You may see some of that in the database when you are in
> there.  It is supposed to be there.
> I went ahead and moved a copy of the backup for you to access.  I was
> hoping you might be able to get the credit card information corrected.  We
> have needed it at different times.  Let me know the status of this and when
> it is in place.
> Thank you,
> Michael Bishop
> Labor Law Poster Service
> Phone 877-321-4144
> Fax 888-442-4144
> [email-masked]
>
>