Subject: Server Failure
From: Joey Sheets <[email-masked]>
To: Steve Fata <[email-masked]>, Ryan Hafer <[email-masked]>, Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 07:45:48 -0400

Hi,

I wanted to give an update.  Two of the hard drives that had all the data
for everything except for LLPS system (separate server) died on Sunday.
 Because it was two and not just one means we lost the data.  I was hoping
to bring them back online long enough to make a copy of the data but that
doesn't look like it will happen.  So that means that we are going to loss
some data and its going to take some time to get things functioning again.
 We do have up to date copies of the databases which is the most important
part.  I have restored the corp database from the backup and everything
looks fine there.  The trick will be to get the webpages back to the way
they were.  I think we have enough backed up data to get close, but I am
sure there will be some missing stuff. It will probably be a couple of days
before we are fully functional with corp and vcg.  But I believe we will
get there.  I stayed up all night in hopes of having it working by this
morning but I couldn't finish all of it.  I am going to go home and catch
some sleep and be back it later.

The phones should be working.   So should the labor law system.  I believe
the call center should be functional also.

-Joey