Subject: RE: Proposal Questions
From: "Cook, Katelyn" <[email-masked]>
To: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 15:30:31 -0500

Mike,
     To answer your questions, if you didn't have caller ID there would
be nothing that shows up on the display, not even the number. However I
have attached two proposals (one with Caller ID and one without to show
the difference) and also your AT&T bill for your reference, if needed.
One proposal shows our basic lines and line rates, however this doesn't
have the caller ID name and number on it. There is a significant savings
on that proposal, that is if you wanted to give up the caller ID. Now
the second one is a different product that we offer and I think might be
a better fit for you. This product has your 5 lines that have features
on them such as the caller ID name and number, and an additional line
without caller ID name and number for your fax (since you wouldn't need
caller ID on the fax, this makes the line cheaper than the others). This
product also has unlimited local calling for all 6 lines and 1000
minutes of Long Distance included. After the 1000 minutes of Long
Distance the rate is .039 which is still lower than the .06 with AT&T.
But one other good thing about this is that your 6 lines will be coming
in on a 1.5 Mb T1. The benefit to this is that you can set up your
router to automatically switch to the T1 if your Comcast were to go down
and use the T1 until it is back up and running. This means you shouldn't
ever go without the internet. Also there is still a savings, which is
great. Please let me know if you have any questions and I look forward
to hearing from you. 
 
Sincerely, 

Katelyn Cassaday 
TDS 
Account Representative 
Phone: 517-381-6534 
Fax: 517-381-6538 
Email: [email-masked] 

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
	Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 2:57 PM
	To: Cook, Katelyn
	Subject: Re: Proposal Questions

	Here are your answers:
	 
	Do you have Caller ID name & number on the 6 analog lines you
are currently getting from AT&T? If so, how important is this feature to
you?
	Yes and we would prefer to keep it.  If we didn't have it, what
would the display read?  Would it just send the number?  Why don't you
show me pricing with and without and explain features.
	 
	Do you have Voicemail on the 6 analog lines? 
	No.  We use voicemail with our phone system.
	 
	I know you had stated that some of these lines go to a fax, is
there anyway you could let me know which numbers are attached to the fax
machines?
	517-321-9441
	 
	Thank you,
	Michael Bishop
	Labor Law Poster Service
	Phone 877-321-4144
	Fax 888-442-4144
	[email-masked] 

		----- Original Message ----- 
		From: Cook, Katelyn <mailto:[email-masked]>  
		To: [email-masked] 
		Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 12:27 PM
		Subject: Proposal Questions

		Hi Mike, 
		        Couple quick questions for you before I send the
proposal over, I was just wondering about a few different things:

		                - Do you have Caller ID name & number on
the 6 analog lines you are currently getting from AT&T? If so, how
important is this feature to you?

		                - Do you have Voicemail on the 6 analog
lines? 

		        I know you had stated that some of these lines
go to a fax, is there anyway you could let me know which numbers are
attached to the fax machines (out of: 517-321-4144, 517-321-3774,
517-321-9441, 517-327-0306, 517-327-6338, 517-327-7401)? If not, it's no
big deal. This information will help me in a couple different ways to
adjust my current proposal if needed. Thanks again.

		Sincerely, 

		Katelyn Cassaday 
		TDS 
		Sales Associate 
		Phone: 517-381-6534 
		Fax: 517-381-6538 
		Email: [email-masked]