Subject: Message from Mr. Belot
From: "NCCSOFFICE" <[email-masked]>
To: "NCCSOFFICE" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 13:57:28 -0400

Dear Parents,

In recent days I have witnessed clear occasions of disrespect to staff, been
advised of the flagrant disregard towards our cell phone policy, and watched
the staff spend many hours working on relational issues.  

Last week I spoke to some students about the scriptural imperative of
"guarding your heart" 

Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life.
(Proverbs 4:23) 

What should distinguish New Covenant Christian School is that we have an
orientation to protect our own hearts, and a passion to protect the hearts
of our fellow school members.  

In this conversation with students I reminded them that our heart and our
imagination are two critical faculties that are used by God to communicate
His message to us. 

A merry heart makes a cheerful countenance. (Proverbs, 15:13)

For as he thinketh in his heart so is he... (Proverbs 23:7)

A wise man's heart is at his right hand (Ecclesiastes 10:2)

He did evil, because he prepared not his heart to seek the Lord.  2
Chronicles 12:14

For they considered not the miracle of the loaves: for their heart was
hardened. (Mark 6:52)

There are countless other scriptures that testify to the crucial nature of
the heart in our relationship with God.

In a number of recent conversations I have reinforced our perspective that
we must focus on the impact of our actions, rather than seek to justify
because our intentions were different.  If we are truly interested in others
then our concern will be for their well-being.  

We will make mistakes for sure.  On those occasions, our history of caring
and loving will plead testament to our character.  Even at those times we
would express our heart of repentance; we would resemble the prodigal son's
father as he rushed to forgive first.  Matthew 5:23-25 urges us to this.  

I am decided and intent upon having this attitude of caring for the hearts
of others at the center of all that we are at this school.  As a
discipleship community, we cannot achieve our purpose any other way. Without
having a heart attitude that seeks God and His presence, then I will never
move one inch on the road to discipleship.  Without a heart attitude to
learning, we have no likelihood of academic achievement.  Without this heart
attitude, our focus on service collapses to just being a day when we are
'forced' to do jobs for others.  

In the process of recently working through many instances of relational
bruising between students, the staff and I have encountered many occasions
where students justified their actions rather than focusing on their impact.
As experienced practitioners we understand that "hurt people hurt people",
that fear causes us to lash out, that insecurity prompts self-defense.  For
in the very center of those emotional realities we are crying out for a
spiritual reality and its promptings of a greater emotional maturity. We are
calling everyone to move past self and prioritize others.

An attitude of gratitude and respect should be at the heart of what we do.  

I want to explain why I see the flagrant disregard for cell phones as a
heart issue. The NCCS cell phone policy is clear, reasonable, and
comparatively generous.  Many students are flaunting this.  Many others are
respecting the rule.  The difference between these two responses is
dependent on a condition of the heart. In one case, the heart respects
others, seeks for empathy, and accepts the authority behind the rule.  In
the other case the heart values self more highly than respect, reflects
little to no self-government, and refuses to accept authority.  Situations
of genuine need and emergency can always be dealt with through openness and
sensitivity.  Our policy takes account of such situations. 

It has been interesting to watch the students deal with the edict I issued
last Friday.  To anyone who is respectful of others and authority, there was
no issue: they know that they have access to the school phone if they
require it.  We are just enforcing school policy in that regard.  Safety is
not compromised for anyone.  

A bonus is that teachers will be able to focus on learning rather than
monitoring compliance.  

It is my hope that on Wednesday morning we will have recovered some part of
the attitude of gratitude for our current policy.  That policy treats
secondary school students as responsible young adults.  

I would appreciate your support in our endeavors to build a school of
distinction and safety. I request that you discuss the issues of respect,
authority and caring for others with your children.

Yours sincerely,

IainSignature

Iain Belot

Principal