From: "NCCSOFFICE" <[email-masked]>
To: "NCCSOFFICE" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 10:33:12 -0400

Dear families:

Rachel Hedin, Pastor Fred's daughter, is a public health nurse for the
Ingham County Health Department.  She has passed along some information
about the swine flu that I'd like to share with our families.

It is in Michigan.  The good news is that the virus does not appear to be as
hearty or virulent as previous strains, such as Spanish flu.  There is no
vaccine, but antiviral medication is available within the first 72 hours.
See your doctor right away if flu-like symptoms upgrade or escalate.  

Here is Rachel's advice for preventing illness:  frequent hand-washing, wash
down frequently contacted hard surfaces (countertops, doorknobs, phone
fronts, etc.) with a 1:10 bleach solution, avoid hand-to-mouth and
hand-to-eye contact, and do not go to work or school if you have flu-like or
respiratory symptoms.  Rachel has defined sickness as a fever of 100+
combined with another respiratory symptom (such as a runny nose and/or
cough).  Specifically, we ask that you do not send a sick student to school.
Please keep sick students home (as outlined in the Parent-Student Handbook
http://www.nccswarriors.org/pdf/HANDBOOKrevised2008.pdf):

*         until fevers have been normal for at least 24 hours and/or student
has gone 24 hours without vomiting.

*         if your doctor has put your student on an antibiotic for any
reason, the student must wait 24 hours after the first dose before returning
to school.

We certainly should not be alarmed or panic, but following some common-sense
advice from a medical professional is a good idea.   

Mrs. Christy Sochay

Secretary

New Covenant Christian School

517-323-8903