Subject: Warrior Weekly
From: "NCCSOFFICE" <[email-masked]>
To: "NCCSOFFICE" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 10:38:12 -0500

A few announcements for NCCS families:

*       There will be a re-test of the phone tree tomorrow (Wednesday)
morning

*       Picture re-takes will be next Wednesday (November 12th).  Order
forms for re-take day are available at the Communication Station.  Please
hand the completed order form with payment directly to the photographer.
The pictures taken in October will be sent home with students this week.  

*       Confirmations for parent-teacher conferences have already been sent
out via email.  Please let me know right away if you have not received yours
so that one can go home with your student today.

Mrs. Christy Sochay

Secretary/Administrative Asst.

New Covenant Christian School

517-323-8903

 

School Office:  517-323-8903     School Email: [email-masked]
Website: www.nccswarriors.org

School & Church Fax:  517-323-0421     Church Office:  517-323-8180   

*Change of address P.O. Box 80737, Lansing, MI  48908  

WARRIOR WEEKLY

November 4, 2008

“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his
precepts have good understanding.”  Psalm 111:10

 

Coming up at NCCS

Nov. 4             Start of 2nd Quarter

Nov. 6             Parent/Teacher Conferences – ½ Day (dismiss at 12:00pm)

Nov. 7             Parent/Teacher Conferences – SCHOOL CLOSED

Nov. 10           Professional Development Day – SCHOOL CLOSED

Nov. 12           Picture Re-Takes

Nov. 17           PTC/School Recruitment Night

 

Ice Cream Floats!

Available for purchase during lunch 

on Wednesday!  $1.50

 

REMINDER:  School will dismiss this Thursday at noon and will be closed
Friday for Parent-Teacher Conferences and next Monday for Professional
Development Day.  Please note that the school office will be closed during
those times.

REPORT CARDS:  Elementary report cards will be sent home with the student on
Wednesday, November 5th.  Report cards for students in grades 7-12 are
available at the school office prior to your first conference.  Any report
cards not picked up during conferences will be mailed home on Tuesday,
November 11th.  The results of the Stanford Achievement Test that was taken
in the spring are now available and will also be included with the report
cards. 

PHONE TREE NOTE RE-TEST:  We’ve been blessed to have four new volunteers for
our phone tree.  We will be doing another test of the phone tree tomorrow
(Wednesday) morning.  As always, please inform the office if you do not
receive a call so we can correct the problem; otherwise, you will not
receive a call when there is actually a school cancellation.

PARENT-TEACHER CONFERENCES:  Confirmation of your conference time will be
sent via email no later than 3:00pm on Tuesday, November 4th.  If you do not
receive a Warrior Weekly via email, it means we do not have an email address
for you, or there are problems delivering to that address.  If that is the
case, please provide the school office with your email address; otherwise,
your confirmation will be sent home with your student on Tuesday, November
4th.  

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED:  We are looking for several parent volunteers to serve as
judges for the upcoming elementary ACSI Spelling Bee and Speech Meet.  In
order for our students to participate, we are required to provide judges for
both events.  The Spelling Bee will be held on Friday, January 30, 2009, and
the Speech Meet will be held on Friday, March 13, 2009.  Please contact Mrs.
Jenny Jarrard ([email-masked] or 323-8903) if you are able to
assist.  

DON’T FORGET TO TURN IN COOKIE DOUGH FORMS:  It’s not too late to turn them
in!  Final orders are being accepted until 3:00pm on November 5th and are
still guaranteed a November 20th delivery date.  There will be a special
prize awarded to the class with the most cookie dough sold, so make sure
your forms get counted!  Volunteers are needed the day of distribution.
Please contact Nancy Bareham if you would like to help (202-4719).  Thank
you!

SCHOOL RECRUITMENT NIGHT:  We’ll be having an Open House on Monday, November
17th from 6:30-8:30pm.  The purpose of this evening is to promote
recruitment for our school.  All teachers will be in their rooms ready to
meet with prospective families and talk about the school, what they teach,
curriculum in general, etc.  This is a great opportunity to showcase what we
are all about here at NCCS, so please be thinking about who you can invite!

BOOK FAIR UPDATE:  Our profit from the book fair at Barnes and Noble was
$126.80.  That money will be split between the three elementary classes and
used to purchase books and other classroom materials.  Thank you to all the
families who attended and purchased books!

CAMPBELL’S LABELS FOR EDUCATION UPDATE:  A recent count of our Labels for
Education gave us 37,350 points with which we were able to purchase a
variety of items for our elementary and physical education classes,
including:  sidewalk chalk, Legos, basketballs, footballs, board games, a
DVD/VCR combo, and more!  Thank you all for turning in your labels…let’s
keep it up!  Thank you, also, to our Program Coordinator, Joetta Parker.

REMINDER FOR TAP USERS:  Remember to place your order at
www.shopwithscrip.com <http://www.shopwithscrip.com/>  using Presto Pay no
later than 3:00pm on Wednesday.  Pick-up is Thursday morning in the Commons
wing from 8:00am – 8:30am.  Presto Pay will release your order for payment
at the time you place your order.  All TAP users must fill out an enrollment
form for 2008-2009 (available at the Communication Station).  Please contact
Carmen Fitch, Program Coordinator, with any questions at
[email-masked] or 974-5002.  This program is a great way to reduce
your NCCS tuition…check it out!  

GUITAR LESSONS:  Want to learn to play the guitar? Mr. Ben Friedkin, the new
choir teacher, will be teaching guitar lessons after school!  Check out this
link to learn more:
http://www.benjaminfriedkin.com/School_of_Guitar/Lesson_AD.html

WARRIOR WEEKLY: Submissions for the Warrior Weekly must be given to Mrs.
Sochay by 10:00am on Thursday, November 6th in order to be considered.
Submissions may be emailed or turned in to the school office on disk or
thumb drive.  Submissions must be approved and may be edited.  

LUNCH OPTIONS

TUESDAY NACHO SALE:  Seniors will be serving nachos on Tuesday, November 4
and November 11.  The nachos will include cheese and/or meat.  The cost for
chips and cheese is $2.00, and the cost for chips, cheese, and meat is
$3.00. Salsa and sour cream are also available at no extra charge.
Pre-ordering is not necessary.  We also will be selling pop, water, and
juice boxes for $.75 and homemade cookies for $.50.  Money earned will go
towards their mission trip at the end of the year.  Coming soon…6” sub
sandwiches.  Stay tuned!

WEDNESDAY BAKE SALE:  Mrs. Allen’s 4/5/6th grade classroom will be holding a
bake sale each Wednesday during both elementary and secondary lunch periods.
Money earned will go towards their year-end trip.  NOTE:  Bring extra money
this Wednesday, and purchase ice cream floats at the bake sale for $1.50…no
preordering necessary!

SPORTS NEWS

BASKETBALL PARENTS’ MEETING:  There will be a mandatory meeting for all
parents who will have a student playing either Boys’ or Girls’ J. High, JV,
or Varsity basketball.  It will be held at the Doty Center at Great Lakes
Christian College on Nov. 17th. This meeting will start at 6:00pm and should
only take a half hour. We want to be able to share rule changes, as well as
team expectations with parents. If you have any questions please feel free
to contact Coach Fitch (517-974-5765).

BOYS’ BASKETBALL:  Basketball conditioning will begin Nov. 3rd from
6:00–8:00pm at the Doty Center at Great Lakes Christian College. Alumnus
Mike VanHal will be taking the athletes through a season that will make
their bodies and minds work as one. This conditioning season is mandatory
for all JV and Varsity level players. Try-outs for basketball will be the
following week Nov. 10th. We look forward to a great season and want to
start it out right. If you have any questions, please contact Coach Fitch
(517-974-5765). WARR-IOR BAS-KET-BALL!!