Subject: Warrior Weekly
From: "NCCSOFFICE" <[email-masked]>
To: "NCCSOFFICE" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 09:23:14 -0400

The Senior Class Newsletter attachment was created in Microsoft Publisher.
If you aren’t able to open this attachment remember that it will be attached
to the hard copy, as well.

Mrs. Christy Sochay

Secretary/Administrative Asst.

New Covenant Christian School

517-323-8903

 

School Office:  517-323-8903     School Email: [email-masked]
Website: www.nccswarriors.org

School & Church Fax:  517-323-0421     Church Office:  517-323-8180   

*Change of address P.O. Box 80737, Lansing, MI  48908  

WARRIOR WEEKLY

October 27, 2008

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,
goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.  

Against such things there is no law.”  Galatians 5:22, 23

 

Attachments:

1.	Principal’s Page
2.	Conference Form
3.	Senior Class Newsletter 
4.	November Cleaning Schedule
5.	Basketball Sign-Up Form (not available via email)

Coming up at NCCS

Oct. 31   End of 1st Quarter

Nov. 3    Records Day – SCHOOL CLOSED

Nov. 4    Start of 2nd Quarter

Nov. 6    Parent/Teacher Conferences – ½ Day (dismiss at 12:00pm)

Nov. 7    Parent/Teacher Conferences – SCHOOL CLOSED

Nov. 10  Professional Development Day – SCHOOL CLOSED

 

PHONE TREE NOTE FROM PASTOR RYCKMAN:  The Phone Tree is one of the ways we
notify families of an unexpected school closure.  Historically we have
attempted to inform families of these closures so they would not have to
make an unnecessary trip to the building.  Most people associate these
closures with snow days, and think they will know about them because we send
notices to the local TV and radio stations.  We may, however, use the phone
tree for other emergencies that would necessitate closure of our building.
In order for the phone tree to work properly, we need people who will be
accessible and faithful to call other families.  

This year we lost several phone tree volunteers and only had one new family
step up to volunteer and make calls.  That means we have fewer volunteers
calling more families.  Instead, we hope to have more volunteers calling
fewer families, thereby taking up less of the volunteers’ busy morning time.
Another problem we have is our volunteer callers not answering the phone in
the morning.  This leaves the one trying to call them responsible for making
several more additional calls. If you are a phone tree volunteer, please
make sure that you provide a phone number where you can be reached between
6:00am – 6:30am.  Furthermore, it is critical that this be a phone that you
will answer in the morning and not ignore, or the phone tree breaks down.

It is imperative that we have a working emergency phone tree in place;
however, this will only be possible with the faithful service of phone tree
volunteers.  We need your help.  Please consider volunteering to make calls
for our phone tree.  Ideally, it will only take a few minutes of your time
when there is an unexpected school closure.  If you are already a phone tree
volunteer, we thank you for your service to fellow NCCS families and ask
that you dependably continue.    If you would like to help us in this
capacity, please call the office at 323-8903.

PARENT-TEACHER CONFERENCES:  The end of the 1st Quarter and Parent/Teacher
Conferences are fast approaching. Conferences will be held Thursday,
November 6th, and Friday, November 7th.  We hope all parents will schedule a
conference time.  Return the attached form to the office (in person or via
email) no later than this Friday, October 31st to schedule your conference
time.  Please see the note regarding teacher availability on the form.
Conferences are scheduled on a first-returned, first-scheduled basis and
will not be scheduled over the phone.   

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED:  We are looking for several parent volunteers to serve as
judges for the upcoming elementary ACSI Spelling Bee and Speech Meet.  In
order for our students to participate, we are required to provide judges for
both events.  The Spelling Bee will be held on Friday, January 30, 2009, and
the Speech Meet will be held on Friday, March 13, 2009.  Please contact Mrs.
Jenny Jarrard ([email-masked] or 323-8903) if you are able to
assist.  

SAVORY SWEETS COOKIE DOUGH:  Remember, order forms and payment are due this
Thursday, October 30th, and the cookie dough will be delivered November
20th.  Yes, people can make a donation to NCCS in lieu of purchasing cookie
dough.  A Fundraising Donation Form was attached to the Warrior Weekly last
week, and more are available at the Communication Station.  Please call
Nancy Bareham (202-4719) if you have any questions.  Happy selling!

MEIJER COMMUNITY REWARDS:  The month of October is Double Rewards Month!
During this period, when you shop at Meijer and scan your Meijer 1 Card or
your linked Meijer Credit Card, you'll receive double rewards for your
organization! If you use your linked Meijer Credit Card, you'll receive a
total of 2%. If you use cash or a PIN-based debit card along with swiping
your Meijer 1 Card, you'll receive a total of 1%.  Remember, any rewards you
earn will reduce your NCCS tuition next year!  For more information on MCR,
please contact the Program Coordinator, Jenn Crippen (719-6696).  

REMINDER FOR TAP USERS:  Remember to place your order at
www.shopwithscrip.com <http://www.shopwithscrip.com/>  using Presto Pay no
later than 3:00pm on Wednesday.  Pick-up is Thursday morning in the
Secondary wing from 8:00am – 8:30am (note the new time).  Presto Pay will
release your order for payment at the time you place your order.  All TAP
users must fill out an enrollment form for 2008-2009 (available at the
Communication Station).  Please contact Carmen Fitch, Program Coordinator,
with any questions at [email-masked] or 974-5002.  This program is a
great way to reduce your NCCS tuition…check it out!  

GUITAR LESSONS:  Want to learn to play the guitar? Mr. Ben Friedkin, the new
choir teacher, will be teaching guitar lessons after school!  Check out this
link to learn more:
http://www.benjaminfriedkin.com/School_of_Guitar/Lesson_AD.html

LUNCH OPTIONS

TUESDAY NACHO SALE:  The senior class will be selling chips and cheese at
lunch time tomorrow (Tuesday).  Preordering is not necessary.  The cost is
$2.00.  Money earned will go towards their mission trip at the end of the
year.

WEDNESDAY BAKE SALE:  Mrs. Allen’s 4/5/6th grade classroom will be holding a
bake sale each Wednesday during both elementary and secondary lunch periods.
Money earned will go towards their year-end trip.  NOTE:  Bring extra money
next Wednesday, November 5th, and purchase ice cream floats at the bake
sale…no preordering necessary!

THURSDAY'S HOT LUNCH - Baked Chicken Strips with Mashed Potatoes will be
served on Thursday for hot lunch.        Be sure to order yours today! Order
forms are only available via email with the Warrior Weekly or at the
Communication Station. Orders and money need to be placed in the Hot Lunch
Box outside the school office by 3:00pm on Wednesday. All proceeds will help
the 4/5/6th graders go on their year-end trip to Chicago. Any questions or
suggestions for hot lunch? Contact Mary Hedin at 394-5729. Thanks for your
continuing support.  NOTE:  Next week is a short one so there will be no Hot
Lunch. 

FRIDAY PIZZA DAY:  The proceeds go towards the Class of 2009 senior mission
trip.  Pizza forms will be emailed home with the Warrior Weekly.  Pizza
forms are also available at the Communication Station outside the school
office.  In order to conserve resources, pizza forms will no longer be
attached to the Warrior Weekly.  Please fill out your pizza order form, and
put it in the PIZZA box outside the office BEFORE Wednesday at 3:00pm.  

SPORTS NEWS

NCCS BASKETBALL SIGN-UP:  It’s almost basketball time!  Use the attached
form to sign up to participate by next Monday, November 3rd.  Pee-Wee
basketball is generally for those students in grades 3-5.  Contact Scott
Richey for more information (887-7466). 

OPEN GYM:  There will be an open gym for all young men grade 8 on up,
including teachers.   It will be held Tuesday, October 28th, and Thursday,
October 30th, from 6:00 – 8:00pm at the Doty Center at Great Lakes Christian
College. Please call Coach Fitch (517-974-5765) or Scott Richey
(517-719-6056) if you will be attending. This will be a great chance to play
some pre-season basketball.