Subject: Warrior Weekly
From: "NCCSOFFICE" <[email-masked]>
To: "NCCSOFFICE" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 15:56:11 -0400

Dear families,

Well, I'm back in the office and looking forward to a great school year.
Thank you so much for the outpouring of support I received from so many of
you during my mother's illness and death; it was such a blessing to me.
Because I have been in the office very little since August 1st expect that
it will take me a couple of weeks to get organized and "up-to-speed."  I
appreciate your patience during this time.

*          Family directories which were traditionally given out at the Ice
Cream Social will be sent home with students in the next couple of weeks.

*          We still have some families who are lacking a Pastor
Recommendation Form.   Because I was not here to follow-up on this during
the latter part of summer, you have an extra couple of weeks to make sure
your form is returned before I'll have time to make calls.  Those who we
need forms from are all returning families who have known since March that
this form was needed.  I'm attaching another blank Pastor Form for your
convenience.  P.S.  If you have recently changed churches and have already
made arrangements to turn your form in at a later date, I am not talking
about you.

*       The Parent-Student Handbook was revised over the summer and some
important changes and clarifications have been made that you need to know
about.  Please log on to the website (nccswarriors.org).  You will find a
pdf version of the Handbook located under the Warrior Community tab.  One
important change I'd like to point out specifically regards communication
(handbook page 9).  Unless there is a true emergency, the school office will
no longer be delivering messages to student lockers.  Instead, student
messages will be posted on the bulletin board outside the school office
which has been renamed "Communication Station".  Students can check the
Communication Station to see if a message has been left for them there and,
if necessary, return the call before school, during lunch, or after school.
Below is an excerpt from that section of the revised Handbook:

Communication between parents and students during the school day:
Communication between parents and students during the school day will be
done only in cases of emergency or when there is a need for disciplinary
action.  Students will NOT be permitted to use the school phone
during/between classes and only in cases of real necessity.  They will not
be allowed to call home for reasons such as forgotten items (other than
forgotten lunch) unless instructed by a teacher.  Students will not be
allowed to use the phone for making arrangements to go home with friends
after school, etc.  We desire to instill in our students responsibility and
forethought.  Student cell phones are not to be used during school hours
(8:00am - 3:00pm).  Any cell phone that is used inappropriately will be
taken to the office until a parent can pick it up.  The school office will
not be responsible for delivering messages of a non-emergency nature
(including after-school rides, lessons, appointments, work schedules, or
plans).  The school staff may post messages for students outside the office.
Parents are asked to assist the school staff in enforcing the communication
policy.  Families should plan in advance so that phone calls from parents to
students (or vice versa) are not necessary.  

Communication with school staff:  You may call NCCS staff during the school
day; if they are unable to receive your call at that time you will be
directed to leave a voice mail.  Additionally, home phone numbers and email
address for staff members are available in the NCCS Family Directory.
Additionally, it is crucial that all student records be kept up-to-date!
Parents, please immediately communicate to the office any changes of
address, telephone number, place of employment, or emergency contacts.

School Newsletter:  An all-school newsletter (Warrior Weekly) will be issued
by the office on the first day of each week, alerting families to all
pertinent information and scheduled events in the coming month, noting
especially any changes or additions to the school calendar or sporting
events. The Warrior Weekly will be emailed to all school families who
provide an email address and one will be given to every student.  It is the
student's responsibility to give the newsletter to the parent.  Please check
the Warrior Weekly for current information before calling the school office.

*         Speaking of communication, I do a significant amount of
communication via email.  If you haven't provided me with your email or
don't check it regularly then you will miss some communication.  Please let
me know if you'd prefer to receive school communication at an email address
other than the one I'm currently using. 

*	Because I was out of the office so much during the summer, I didn't
get the opportunity to update the website as extensively as I would have
liked.  More updates will be coming throughout the school year.  Thank you
to Dave Berry (BerryNet Design) for your work on the site!
*	In an effort to conserve our resources, beginning next week forms
for Hot Lunch and Friday Pizza will no longer be attached to the hard-copy
of the Warrior Weekly.  I will continue to attach them when I send the
Warrior Weekly via email.  If you would like a hard-copy form, it will be
available from the wire hanger at the Communication Station near the office.

 

Mrs. Christy Sochay

Secretary / Admin. Asst.

New Covenant Christian School

517-323-8903

 

School Office:  517-323-8903     School Email: [email-masked]
Website: www.nccswarriors.org

School & Church Fax:  517-323-0421     Church Office:  517-323-8180   

*Change of address

*	P.O. Box 80737, Lansing, MI  48908  

WARRIOR WEEKLY

September 8, 2008

And what does the LORD require of you?  To act justly and love mercy

and to walk humbly with your God.

Micah 6:8 (NIV)

Attachments:

Text Box: NCCS Cross Country Schedule
9/6* Bath Invitational @ Bath High School 8:30
9/9 Eaton Rapids Invitational @ Eaton Rapids 5:00
9/16 Okemos/Grand Ledge/Everett @ Sycamore Golf Course 4:30
9/18* Mason Invitational @ Mason High School 4:30
9/23 Eastern/Everett @ Beekman Center 4:30
9/30 Holt/Grand Ledge @ Holt High School 4:30
10/2 Everett/Sexton @ Grand Woods Park 4:30
10/7 Holt/Jackson/Everett @ Sycamore Golf Course 4:30
10/15 Junior Greater Lansing Invitational (Junior High Only)
*indicates that Junior High will run in their own separate race at the
Junior High distance.
1.  Reminder Memo from Pastor Fred

2.  Pizza Order Form

Text Box: Coming up at NCCS
Sept. 8 Parent Teacher Coalition Meeting
@7:00pm Sept. 22 Seniors leave for Retreat
Sept. 24 Gr. 9-11 leave for Retreat
Sept. 26 Gr 9-12 return from Retreat

 

 

 

 

 

 

What a Great First Week!

 

Please note change of post office box for NCCS and Church; if you've
recently mailed something, it will still reach us and be forwarded for the
next year.   NCCS P. O. Box 80737, Lansing, MI   48908

STUDENT ABSENCE/TARDY POLICY:  If a student will be absent or tardy from
school for any reason, the parents must notify the office either with a
phone call or in person between 8:00am-8:30am!  Please do not just tell the
teacher.it is not the teachers' responsibility to inform the office.  In
order for a tardy first thing in the morning to be excused, it must fall
clearly within the following categories:

1.	A doctor's appointment which could not be scheduled out of school
hours;
2.	An unavoidable family emergency. This does not include over-sleeping
or family transportation issues;
3.	Unavoidable difficulty with the roads such as unavoidable
construction, congestion, or delay due to an accident. Families are to plan
appropriate travel time anticipating possible delays.

Parents determine their student's attendance. The school determines whether
or not an absence or tardy is excused. Unexcused absence or tardiness
results in the student not receiving credit for missed work.  If, for any
reason, a student misses class, it is the responsibility of the student and
parents (not the teacher or secretary) to initiate the obtaining of all
information missed.  Please see page 14 of your Parent-Student Handbook for
more information on this policy.

LATEX BALLOON POLICY:  Due to a student with a latex allergy, we do not
allow latex balloons/balls in the school building.  For the safety of all
our students please keep this policy in mind throughout the school year,
especially during celebrations or decorating student lockers. 

MILK FOR LUNCH:  Milk is now available for students to purchase during their
lunch period.  You may purchase a milk

card for $5.00, or you may purchase milk individually for $.75 per milk.  A
milk card has 10 punches on it so you do save money buying a milk card.
Chocolate and 2% milk is available.  Please send only the exact amount of
money, either in the form of a check made out to NCCS or cash.  The office
can not make change.  Milk cards are available for purchase in the school
office.

FRIDAY PIZZA DAY:  Friday Pizza Day is back!  Please fill out the attached
pizza order form and put in the PIZZA box outside the office BEFORE
Wednesday at 3:00pm.  The proceeds go towards the Class of 2009 senior
missions trip.

TAP:  The Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) has begun with Major changes for
this school year.  Orders will need to be placed online with
www.shopwithscrip.com <http://www.shopwithscrip.com/>  by Wednesdays at
3:00pm.  You can put your order in anytime before that.  They will not be
released for payment until that time.  You must pay by Presto Pay.  NO
checks will be accepted.  Disbursements will be on Thursday mornings before
school.  Carmen or someone else will be there between 7:45am and 9:00am to
distribute your order.  So orders placed Wednesday, September 8th by 3:00 pm
will be available for pick up on Thursday, September 18th 7:45am-9:00am.
Please see announcements weekly to keep informed of important information.
You can also access your own previous orders and see where you stand.
Please keep in mind that the 1% threshold amount is not taken off the
amounts that you see on your rebates.  The information that you will have
available to you is priceless.  You will know what is available to order
when you order.  They have also added some cards that you can reload.
Please be sure to follow instructions exactly for this process for your
tuition account to be credited.  You are also now able to see what the
conditions/restrictions are on the actual card from the ordering pages.  You
enroll in Presto Pay from the www.shopwithscrip.com
<http://www.shopwithscrip.com/> . You should have received an e-mail with a
Getting Started Flyer attached.  If you did not receive this information or
do not have access to the internet you may pick up this information in the
school office.  Contact Carmen Fitch (NCCS - Tap Coordinator) by e-mail at
[email-masked] <http://[email-masked]/>  or call
(974-5002) for more information or if you have any questions.  KEEP
TAPPING!!

WARRIOR WEEKLY: If you do not wish to have a newsletter emailed to you,
please let me know.  Also, if you did not receive a newsletter via email but
would like to, please provide me with your email address.  

Submissions for the Warrior Weekly must be given to Mrs. Sochay by 10:00am
on Friday in order to be considered.  Submissions may be emailed or turned
in to the school office on disk or thumb drive.  Submissions must be
approved and may be edited.