Subject: RE: 2013 Purchase for Mandl School, NYC - Labor Posters
From: "Maritza E.M. Mercado" <[email-masked]>
To: "'LLPS Customer Service'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 11:11:57 -0400

Good Morning Michael,

Thank you so much for your attention to detail; your customer service has
been outstanding, which is why I decided to renew the poster with your
organization.  I appreciate the tracking information since I like to keep on
top of orders.

Have a great weekend!

My Best,

Maritza 

Maritza E.M. Mercado

Director of Compliance

x127

From: LLPS Customer Service [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2013 8:58 AM
To: Maritza E.M. Mercado
Subject: Re: 2013 Purchase for Mandl School, NYC - Labor Posters 

Hello Maritza.

I am glad things were taken care of for you.  I attached a copy of your paid
invoice for your order.  Your name was misspelled (and will be on the
mailing label), but I corrected it on the invoice and account.  Your order
should be there in just a few days.  Your order is being sent out USPS with
tracking being #
<http://trkcnfrm1.smi.usps.com/PTSInternetWeb/InterLabelInquiry.do?origTrack
Num==9400111201080905913765> 9400111201080905913765.  Take care. Winking
smile emoticon

Thank you,
Michael B
LLPS

From: Maritza E.M. Mercado <mailto:[email-masked]>  

Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2013 5:06 PM

To: 'LLPS Customer Service' <mailto:[email-masked]>  

Subject: RE: 2013 Purchase for Mandl School, NYC - Labor Posters 

Good Afternoon Michael,

Thank you very much for corresponding with me regarding the College's labor
posters.  I called the 877 number you have listed below and referenced the
order number you provided, and was able to purchase a new federal poster
today.

I appreciate all your help on this matter.

My Best,

Maritza E.M. Mercado

Director of Compliance

x127

From: LLPS Customer Service [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2013 3:18 PM
To: Maritza E.M. Mercado
Subject: Re: Mandl School, NYC - Labor Posters 

Hello Maritza.

The last order in reference was actually placed on September 29, 2011 for
2012 posters.  Replacement would have only been good for the calendar year
of the posters.  Basically, 2012 posters are guaranteed for 2012 and 2013
for the 2013 calendar year.  So, posters ordered now would be good until the
end of this year.

Thank you,
Michael B
LLPS

From: Maritza E.M. Mercado <mailto:[email-masked]>  

Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2013 12:26 PM

To: 'LLPS Customer Service' <mailto:[email-masked]>  

Subject: RE: Mandl School, NYC - Labor Posters 

Hello Michael,

Usually when we submit an order for labor posters, it is for annual period;
thus, I'm not understanding whether or not the 2012 period that we put an
order in for has expired (i.e., April 2012-April 2013).  If indeed our
annual contract period has expired with your organization, then yes indeed,
we will purchase an updated set of posters.  I, however, will not do so
unless the period has expired already so there is no overlap.

My Best,

Maritza E.M. Mercado

Director of Compliance

x127

From: LLPS Customer Service [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2013 12:06 PM
To: Maritza E.M. Mercado
Subject: Re: Mandl School, NYC - Labor Posters 

Hello Maritza.

We do have on record the last time your company ordered was for 2012
posters.  We do not yet have an order for 2013 posters.  If you were to
order the 2013 posters now, you would have the most updated posters and be
covered for the remainder of the year.  Please contact Customer Service at
877-321-4144 if you have additional questions and/or you would like to order
the 2013 posters.  Please reference your last order # 1299176.

Thank you,
Michael B
LLPS

From: Maritza E.M. Mercado <mailto:[email-masked]>  

Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2013 11:48 AM

To: [email-masked] 

Subject: Mandl School, NYC - Labor Posters 

Good Morning:

I'm receiving e-mails from another company stating that my company's posters
are out of date.  I believe we currently have a policy with your
organization.  If so, please advise on when Mandl's service with you
expires, and please confirm that we ordered the package that allows for free
updates during the year when legislation changes or goes into effect.  The
person who would have put in the initial order last year would be Phylis
Stagno, and the bill would have been paid by my boss Melvyn Weiner.  If you
require any further information, please feel free to contact me via e-mail
or by phone 

I look forward to hearing from you.

My Best,

Maritza E.M. Mercado

Director of Compliance

Mandl New logo

254 W. 54th Street

New York, NY 10019

P: (212) 247-3434 

F: (212) 247-3617

[email-masked]