Subject: RE: address issue
From: "Deborah Downing" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Mike'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:27:09 -0800

Mike, 

Hopefully the check will get there soon and we can get these puppies mailed
out.  There are a few that will probably go to the regional's address, just
like Fairfield.  It isn't usually this complicated is it?  Thank you for all
of your help and patience.

Debbie

  _____  

From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2008 3:13 PM
To: Deborah Downing
Subject: Re: address issue

No problem.  I simply deleted the #8 store and changed store #16 to receive
2-csets.  Does that sound right to you?  Also, I am still checking to find
out if the check has come in and it just hasn't been forwarded to me.

Thank you,

Mike - LLPS

----- Original Message ----- 

From: Deborah <mailto:[email-masked]>  Downing 

To: 'Mike' <mailto:[email-masked]>  

Sent: Friday, January 11, 2008 2:57 PM

Subject: address issue

Hi Mike,

I just found out that our Fairfield Store #08 has closed.  It will reopen,
but for now we need to send those posters to the Vallejo Store.  I'm sorry,
let me know if I need to figure this all out and resubmit the spreadsheet.

Debbie