Subject: Re: Order Problem
From: "Ryan Dooley" <[email-masked]>
To: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 16:05:35 -0500

Mike,

I just finished listening to the sale and he did what he was supposed to do
and pitched the person that answered the phone.  The sale verged on suspect,
but total cost and payment option were provided.  He used 'just like last
year', which we recently addressed in a room setting.  Other than that, it
was a solid sale based on our approach.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

Thank you,

Ryan

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 3:42 PM, Mike <[email-masked]> wrote:

>  Ryan,
> Spoke to a manager or owner who stated that they never ordered yet his name
> was the only name on the order.  Even though we canceled the invoice and
> cleared everything out, he was still trying to make a point.  I told him I
> would forward the supervisor the information and that things would be
> researched further.  Just check it and make sure it was legit.  The order #
> is 1180164 done by Quincy Jacobs.
> Thank you,
> Michael Bishop
> Labor Law Poster Service
> Phone 877-321-4144
> Fax 888-442-4144
> [email-masked]
>