Subject: Gateway SSL Upgrade
From: "Lynch, David" <[email-masked]>
To: "Lynch, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 14:30:55 -0600

Hello,

As most of you know my last day as your Account Manager will be June
30th, and I wanted to update your account information so that the your
new Account Manager has the most updated information on your account
status.  

You were notified in various emails, and have probably noticed messaging
in Paypal Manager each time you log in mentioning the Gateway Upgrade
from your current version to Version 4.3 which needs to take place by
Sept 1 2009.  Failure to meet this upgrade timeline will cause your
ability to process using the Payflow Gateway to be interrupted.  

The main question today is "What date do you expect to have this upgrade
completed on?"  If you could fill in your expected completion date in a
response to this email it would be most helpful in updating your
account.  Respond to [email-masked]

We have resources available to help answer questions or guide you
through this upgrade, please feel free to take advantage of them while
they still have open times, their availability will dwindle as the
deadline gets closer.  

References:

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=develo
per/gateway_update
<https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=devel
oper/gateway_update> 

Email support:  [email-masked]

Phone support: 877-729-7258 (Monday - Friday, 7am-8pm Central Daylight
Time)

 

Thanks and have a great day. 

David Lynch

Account Manager

PayPal, The safer, easier way to pay online

7700 Eastport Pkwy, LaVista, NE  68128

Direct  402 952 8848  |  Cell  402 253 5570

[email-masked]

Office Hours:  7:30 am - 4:30 pm ct Monday - Friday