Subject: RE: Reporting documentation
From: "Lynch, David" <[email-masked]>
To: "Customer Service" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 07:39:55 -0600

This was to Frank, I just wanted to flag you that we were in
communication.  Talk to you soon, just file this away.

 

David Lynch

Enterprise Account Management

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online

12312 Port Grace Blvd, La Vista, NE 98128

Direct  402 952 8848  |  Cell  402 253 5570

Skype  dvdlynch  |  Fax  402 537 5790  

________________________________

From: Customer Service [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 8:28 AM
To: Lynch, David
Subject: Re: Reporting documentation

David,

I think you have already sent me this or is this a different version?

Thank you,

Michael - LLPS

	----- Original Message ----- 

	From: Lynch, David <mailto:[email-masked]>  

	To: Frank Vargas <mailto:[email-masked]>  

	Cc: Customer Service <mailto:[email-masked]>  

	Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 8:33 AM

	Subject: Reporting documentation

	Here is the reporting documentation.  

	The settlement report is what provides the Merchant with the 24
hour snapshot of all balance effecting transactions.  The Transaction
Summary and Dispute reports can also provide information regarding daily
activity.  Talk to you later today.

	 

	David Lynch

	Enterprise Account Management

	PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online

	12312 Port Grace Blvd, La Vista, NE 98128

	Direct  402 952 8848  |  Cell  402 253 5570

	Skype  dvdlynch  |  Fax  402 537 5790