Subject: RE: System Update - Follow Up Requested
From: "Vaughan, Janet" <[email-masked]>
To: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 08:37:59 -0700

Mike,

I show that the API's are still running on the old version and have not
yet been updated.  I would suggest having your IT person contact our
gateway update support staff at 877.729.7258. M-F 0830 AM-8:00 PM CT.
They would be able to provide direction if he has any questions.  

If you utilize a third party shopping cart, the shopping cart would make
the upgrades on their end.  You would then want to reach out to your
shopping cart provider to see where they are at with the upgrade and if
anything is required on your end.  Please do not hesitate to let me know
if you have questions.

Thanks

Janet

 

Client IP

Client Version

24.11.200.80

3.0.7

________________________________

From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 10:14 AM
To: Vaughan, Janet
Subject: Re: System Update - Follow Up Requested

Hi Janet.

I wanted to touch base with you about the upgrade.  I keep getting the
reminders and was not certain if something was not done.  My IT person
believes he has implemented everything needed for the upgrade.  He was
not certain if there might be something that he missed.  Is there any
way you can have someone on your end run a test and take a look at the
settings of our account?  I just don't want to be down if something is
not correct.  Let me know what you find.

Thank you,
Michael Bishop
Labor Law Poster Service
Phone 877-321-4144
Fax 888-442-4144
[email-masked] 

	----- Original Message ----- 

	From: Vaughan, Janet <mailto:[email-masked]>  

	To: [email-masked] 

	Sent: Monday, August 17, 2009 10:03 AM

	Subject: System Update - Follow Up Requested

	Good Morning Mike,

	I am sure that you and your IT team have been advised of this
impending change via the constant messages when logging into the PayPal
Manager as well as from your previous account manager, David Lynch.
However, I wanted to take this opportunity to follow up personally to
see if you had any questions or concerns that I can assist you with
regarding the necessary SDK changes.  As the September 1 deadline is
drawing near, please do not hesitate to reach out or call our gateway
support team at 877.729.7258 from 0830 AM - 0800 PM CT M-F.

	Thanks

	Janet

	Please visit our site at > for more information on the update 
www.paypal.com/gatewayupdate 

	 

	Upgrade instructions for:

	*	Merchants using 3rd party ecommerce solution
<https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=devel
oper/gateway_update_merchant_cart>  
	*	Merchants with custom integrations - have developer
<https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=devel
oper/gateway_update_custom_dev>  
	*	Merchants with custom integrations - no developer
<https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=devel
oper/gateway_update_custom_nodev>  
	*	Shopping Carts and Integration/Application Providers
<https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=devel
oper/gateway_update_carts>  
	*	Resellers
<https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=devel
oper/gateway_update_resellers>  
	*	FAQs
<https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=devel
oper/gateway_update_FAQ>  
	*	Contact Support
<https://ppmts.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ppdts.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php>  

	Please review the information contained in the link specific to
your integration needs/solution as quickly as possible.  It is critical
that all applicable changes take place before September 2009. Please let
me know if you need any help or have any questions with this. 

	 

	Janet Vaughan  
	
	PayPal Merchant Solutions | Account Manager 

	PayPal
	The safer, easier way to pay online

	12312 Port Grace Blvd, La Vista, NE 68128
	Direct  402.516.9489  |  Black Berry  402.960.8185

	|  Fax  402.537.5790