Subject: RE:
From: "Lynch, David" <[email-masked]>
To: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 12:25:14 -0700

I am going to have you walk me through, I will call you.

 

David Lynch

Enterprise Account Management

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online

12312 Port Grace Blvd, La Vista, NE 98128

Direct  402 952 8848  |  Cell  402 253 5570

Skype  dvdlynch  |  Fax  402 537 5790  

 

________________________________

From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, December 03, 2007 1:23 PM
To: Lynch, David
Subject: Re: 

I never got any emails regarding the issue.  I assumed that was because
the ticket had not yet been resolved.  As far as the ticket number, I
have been dealing directly with the Verisign side of PayPal.  The number
I call into is 888-883-9770.  Should I be calling in to some other
number to get this resolved?  Let me know.

Thank you,

Mike - LLPS

 

	----- Original Message ----- 

	From: Lynch, David <mailto:[email-masked]>  

	To: Mike <mailto:[email-masked]>  

	Sent: Monday, December 03, 2007 1:45 PM

	Subject: FW: 

	Mike,  The ticket number that you received should be a
xxxxx-xxxxxx format, did you get any emails from our tech department?

	 

	David Lynch

	Enterprise Account Management

	PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online

	12312 Port Grace Blvd, La Vista, NE 98128

	Direct  402 952 8848  |  Cell  402 253 5570

	Skype  dvdlynch  |  Fax  402 537 5790  

	 

________________________________

	From: Eisenmenger, Patrick 
	Sent: Monday, December 03, 2007 12:44 PM
	To: Lynch, David
	Subject: FW: 

	FYI....

	
________________________________

	From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
	Sent: Friday, November 30, 2007 4:42 PM
	To: Eisenmenger, Patrick
	Subject: Re: 

	Ok.  The ticket number is 1828439.  The problem has been
reoccurring over the past 2 weeks.  I have been speaking with customer
support on and off as the problem pops up.  It does seem to occur each
time we need to re-enter a transaction or if we need to run multiple
transactions.  I have one card that has been pended and has 2 more
locations (out of 10) that need to be completed.  Feel free to call me
if you any further information.  Thank you in advance for anything you
can do to get this process sped up.

	Michael Bishop

	877-321-4144 ext. 218

		----- Original Message ----- 

		From: Eisenmenger, Patrick
<mailto:[email-masked]>  

		To: [email-masked] 

		Cc: Lynch, David <mailto:[email-masked]>  

		Sent: Friday, November 30, 2007 5:28 PM

		Michaeal,

		When you submitted the ticket for the problem, you
should have received an email with a reference # or ticket #. Can you
email me that back so I can check on the status of your issue? I am
backing Dave Lynch up today. 

		Thanks, -

		Patrick

		From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]]
		Sent: Fri 11/30/2007 1:05 PM
		To: Lynch, David; Davis, Jason
		Subject: system problems

		Hey guys.

		I just wanted to let you know that we have been having a
few problems with some of our transactions being processed.  I have been
trying to resolve the issue through the customer support line.  I have
made several calls which gets them working on the problem, but has yet
to completely remedy the problem overall.  I may be enlisting you to
help if I can't get this fixed.  I was on the phone for a total of more
than hour all together yesterday.  I am back on the line now waiting to
talk to another supervisor.  I will let you know what happens.
Hopefully we can get this fixed.  These errors have been popping up for
over a week.  I may be calling you.

		Thank you,

		Michael Bishop
		Labor Law Poster Service
		Phone 877-321-4144
		Fax 888-442-4144
		[email-masked] 

		 

		Patrick Eisenmenger

		Enterprise Account Manager 

		 , the safest way to pay

		Office: 402-938-3594 

		blackberry: 402-574-1979

		Skype: iceman_3000