Subject: RE: declines
From: "Lynch, David" <[email-masked]>
To: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 12:33:27 -0600

Michael,

I am doing an analysis of thee month of May and I noticed that there
were many duplicate declines and also something strange.  I had
transactions listed as Bankcard that had transaction numbers starting
with V (which means we are not the processor) and others that were
checks with checking account numbers.  Do you know where these could
have come from?

David Lynch

Enterprise Account Management

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online

12312 Port Grace Blvd, La Vista, NE 98128

Direct  402 952 8848  |  Cell  402 253 5570

Skype  dvdlynch  |  Fax  402 537 5790  

 

________________________________

From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 3:44 PM
To: Lynch, David
Subject: declines

David,

Hope things are well with you.  I have some questions about some
declines we were getting earlier today.  I was hoping it was just a
coincidence that we got as many as we did.  I attached a copy of the
summary report I had pulled.  Can you look at this for me and see if
there is something we are doing wrong on our end?  Let me know what you
find out either way.

Thank you,

Michael Bishop
Labor Law Poster Service
Phone 877-321-4144
Fax 888-442-4144
[email-masked]