Subject: RE: multiple charges
From: "Lynch, David" <[email-masked]>
To: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 08:44:23 -0700

I will investigate this right now.  I will contact you back. 

 

David Lynch

Enterprise Account Management

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online

12312 Port Grace Blvd, La Vista, NE 98128

Direct  402 952 8848  |  Cell  402 253 5570

Skype  dvdlynch  |  Fax  402 537 5790  

 

________________________________

From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 9:40 AM
To: Lynch, David
Subject: multiple charges

David,

I have a strange situation for you.  A customer called in stating they
have been charged 3 times.  My first thought was that the order was put
in three times.  However, we only have one order in our system and if
you look at the report for this credit card, there are 3 separate times
and several minutes apart.  How could this have happened?  We have the
last of these 3 transactions recorded as the sale.  I spoke to the rep
who took the call.  She reminded that this was a day when we were having
problems with our system and that she had hit the back button once.  She
said she only did that once.  Anyway, it probably the fault of our
system but can you check it to see if there is anything else that might
have transpired. 

Thank you,

Michael Bishop
Labor Law Poster Service
Phone 877-321-4144
Fax 888-442-4144
[email-masked]