Subject: FW:
From: "Lynch, David" <[email-masked]>
To: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 11:45:35 -0700

Mike,  The ticket number that you received should be a xxxxx-xxxxxx
format, did you get any emails from our tech department?

 

David Lynch

Enterprise Account Management

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online

12312 Port Grace Blvd, La Vista, NE 98128

Direct  402 952 8848  |  Cell  402 253 5570

Skype  dvdlynch  |  Fax  402 537 5790  

 

________________________________

From: Eisenmenger, Patrick 
Sent: Monday, December 03, 2007 12:44 PM
To: Lynch, David
Subject: FW: 

FYI....

________________________________

From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2007 4:42 PM
To: Eisenmenger, Patrick
Subject: Re: 

Ok.  The ticket number is 1828439.  The problem has been reoccurring
over the past 2 weeks.  I have been speaking with customer support on
and off as the problem pops up.  It does seem to occur each time we need
to re-enter a transaction or if we need to run multiple transactions.  I
have one card that has been pended and has 2 more locations (out of 10)
that need to be completed.  Feel free to call me if you any further
information.  Thank you in advance for anything you can do to get this
process sped up.

Michael Bishop

877-321-4144 ext. 218

	----- Original Message ----- 

	From: Eisenmenger, Patrick <mailto:[email-masked]>  

	To: [email-masked] 

	Cc: Lynch, David <mailto:[email-masked]>  

	Sent: Friday, November 30, 2007 5:28 PM

	Michaeal,

	When you submitted the ticket for the problem, you should have
received an email with a reference # or ticket #. Can you email me that
back so I can check on the status of your issue? I am backing Dave Lynch
up today. 

	Thanks, -

	Patrick

	From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]]
	Sent: Fri 11/30/2007 1:05 PM
	To: Lynch, David; Davis, Jason
	Subject: system problems

	Hey guys.

	I just wanted to let you know that we have been having a few
problems with some of our transactions being processed.  I have been
trying to resolve the issue through the customer support line.  I have
made several calls which gets them working on the problem, but has yet
to completely remedy the problem overall.  I may be enlisting you to
help if I can't get this fixed.  I was on the phone for a total of more
than hour all together yesterday.  I am back on the line now waiting to
talk to another supervisor.  I will let you know what happens.
Hopefully we can get this fixed.  These errors have been popping up for
over a week.  I may be calling you.

	Thank you,

	Michael Bishop
	Labor Law Poster Service
	Phone 877-321-4144
	Fax 888-442-4144
	[email-masked] 

	 

	Patrick Eisenmenger

	Enterprise Account Manager 

	, the safest way to pay

	Office: 402-938-3594 

	blackberry: 402-574-1979

	Skype: iceman_3000