Subject: RE: system timing out
From: "Lynch, David" <[email-masked]>
To: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 11:10:59 -0600

Mike,

I do know that your system has been intermittently dropping.  When I go
to the system group they are telling me it is fixed, but it seems to
happen again.  This is the cause of the Time Outs that you are
experiencing. 

I am going to find out what kind of diagnosis is being done to get this
working again.  

David Lynch

Account Manager 

PayPal.com 

The safest, easier way to pay online

12312 Port Grace Blvd, LaVista, NE 68128

Direct 402 952 8848 Cell 402 253 5570

[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>  

________________________________

From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 11:40 AM
To: Lynch, David
Subject: system timing out

David,

Did you find out anything on the transaction(s) from yesterday?  That
was the one order that timed out 3 times.  We had another just do the
same and I guess overall things are running slow.  Can you let me know
asap please?

Thank you,

Michael Bishop
Labor Law Poster Service
Phone 877-321-4144
Fax 888-442-4144
[email-masked]