Subject: RE: Declines Research
From: "Lynch, David" <[email-masked]>
To: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 13:50:05 -0700

Michael,

Well the data minimum is adequate; it may result in higher declines.
The more you send the lower the decline rate is the message that I was
given.  CVV2 is important.

I will keep looking into this for more information.

David Lynch

Enterprise Account Management

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online

12312 Port Grace Blvd, La Vista, NE 98128

Direct  402 952 8848  |  Cell  402 253 5570

Skype  dvdlynch  |  Fax  402 537 5790  

 

________________________________

From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, December 10, 2007 11:21 AM
To: Lynch, David
Subject: Re: Declines Research

David,

I am having one of our techs look into what is being passed through.  I
believe it is the cc #, exp., amt.  I'll let you know.  In the meantime,
we have had 7 declines this morning.  Two or three were re-runs from
last week.  The times of these declines were at 9:13 am, 10:56 am, 10:59
am, 11:03 am, 11:05 am, 11:06 am, 11:08 am. (FYI).  

I just got word that the above info is being passed.  Is that adequate?

Let know your thoughts.

Thank you,

Mike - LLPS

	----- Original Message ----- 

	From: Lynch, David <mailto:[email-masked]>  

	To: Mike <mailto:[email-masked]>  

	Cc: Davis, Jason <mailto:[email-masked]>  

	Sent: Monday, December 10, 2007 10:42 AM

	Subject: Declines Research

	Michael,

	I had a chance to work with our Product, Technical and
Engineering teams regarding the issues you are experiencing and here is
the result of this investigation.  

	Technical Issues- There are no technical Issues, we were able to
ascertain that the transactions were being passed from your system to
the Gateway and the cardholder banks without interruption.  

	Engineering- the API calls that is placed from the Gateway to
the Credit Card Banks is functioning, and the results of the approvals
and declines are in the Log Files that were traced and reviewed by
engineering.  This means we are making a call with the data you provide
us, and the Credit Card Banks are responding with Approvals and
Declines.

	Product-All Payflow Product Models are functioning properly.

	Logic and Process Analysis-  When Legal Posters presents Payflow
with the data to make the API call to the Credit Card Bank they are
supplying the minimum amount of data possible- CC# and Exp. Date.  This
meets minimum requirements but is not ideal in that the Credit Card
Banks utilize the input data to make determinations for approvals by
first screening the transactions through front end Risk/Fraud Prevention
Models.  A merchant will always experience a higher level of declines
when certain data is not passed such as Name, CVV2, Addresses etc. CVV2
is the Security Key that the CC Banks provides that will identify if a
card is actually present, and its input can greatly assist in reducing
declines.  

	When a Cardholder calls their bank and asks the Customer Service
Dept. what is wrong with their account, or why they cannot purchase an
item this information may not be available to the Level 1 Customer
Service agent if the transaction was screened on the front end of the
transaction by modeling.  This would also account for the cardholder
using their card to make other purchases such as presenting their card
in person or buying from another website (which may send more data to
the processor such as CVV2) and having success.  

	The recommendation to assist in increasing the amount of
successful transactions would be to ensure your integration on the
payflow system is providing the Processor and Credit Card Banks with the
most robust data set to assist them in making their determination.  I am
not sure if there were cost or system related reasons for what your
input is currently, but adding Address and CVV2 will only create a more
robust data set for the CC Bank to utilize in the sub-second financial
decision.  

	Who did your original integration, and made the Data Output
decisions?  This may be a good place to start. 

	David Lynch

	Enterprise Account Management

	PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online

	12312 Port Grace Blvd, La Vista, NE 98128

	Direct  402 952 8848  |  Cell  402 253 5570

	Skype  dvdlynch  |  Fax  402 537 5790