Subject: RE: Reporting PayPal
From: "Lynch, David" <[email-masked]>
To: "Customer Service" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 06:48:09 -0600

Michael,  I am sorry I was in a meeting and had to pick up my kids at
daycare.  I did not get your email until it was a little too late.  You
would not void you would credit back any sales.  I did get your question
regarding the set up of Capturing to my engineering contact and it is
under review as we speak.

 

David Lynch

Enterprise Account Management

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online

12312 Port Grace Blvd, La Vista, NE 98128

Direct  402 952 8848  |  Cell  402 253 5570

Skype  dvdlynch  |  Fax  402 537 5790  

________________________________

From: Customer Service [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 4:39 PM
To: Lynch, David
Subject: Re: Reporting PayPal

David,

I need to do a VOID on a recent transaction.  How is this done on the
PayPal manager?  (Forgot to ask these kind of questions before...sorry).
Let me know asap.  I am leaving in about 15 minutes and I would like to
take care of this for our customer today!

Thank you,

Michael Bishop - LLPS

	----- Original Message ----- 

	From: Lynch, David <mailto:[email-masked]>  

	To: [email-masked] 

	Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 3:28 PM

	Subject: Reporting PayPal

	Michael,

	Here is the reporting information.  Please call me when the
email arrives to notify you that you have reporting access.  Thanks.

	 

	David Lynch

	Enterprise Account Management

	PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online

	12312 Port Grace Blvd, La Vista, NE 98128

	Direct  402 952 8848  |  Cell  402 253 5570

	Skype  dvdlynch  |  Fax  402 537 5790