Subject: RE: error ?
From: "Lynch, David" <[email-masked]>
To: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:02:10 -0700

Mike, 

I am escalating for a response, sorry for the delay.  

Thanks 

 

David Lynch

Enterprise Account Management

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online

12312 Port Grace Blvd, La Vista, NE 98128

Direct  402 952 8848  |  Cell  402 253 5570

Skype  dvdlynch  |  Fax  402 537 5790  

 

________________________________

From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2008 5:22 PM
To: Lynch, David
Subject: error ?

David,

Below is a copy of an error I received.  Can you let me know what this
means?

 

Manager

*	PayPal.com
<https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_account>  
*	Documentation
<javascript:popWindowBig('https://www.paypal.com/IntegrationCenter/ic_pa
yflowpro.html');>  
*	Downloads
<javascript:popWindowBig('https://www.paypal.com/IntegrationCenter/ic_pa
yflowpro.html');>  
*	Support <http://www.paypal.com/payflow-support>  
*	Log Out <javascript:location.replace('logout.do');>  

main nav 

  Home   <https://manager.paypal.com/home.do> 

| 

  Account Administration   <https://manager.paypal.com/accountAdmin.do> 

| 

  Service Settings   <https://manager.paypal.com/serviceSettings.do> 

| 

  Search Transactions
<https://manager.paypal.com/showSearchTransaction.do> 

| 

  Virtual Terminal   <https://manager.paypal.com/performTransactions.do>

| 

  Reports   <https://manager.paypal.com/reports.do> 

| 

2nd nav 

  Single Transaction
<https://manager.paypal.com/performTransactions.do?subaction=CC> 

| 

  Multiple Transactions
<https://manager.paypal.com/performTransactions.do?subaction=multiTranx>

| 

2nd nav 

Perform Transaction -- Result 

<javascript:popWindowHelp('https://www.paypal.com/en_US/vhelp/paypalmana
ger_help/paypalmanager.htm#perform_transaction_result.htm');> 

________________________________

Your transaction has been submitted. Details about the transaction are
displayed below.

Transaction Information

Result Code:

117

Response Message:

Failed merchant rule check

________________________________

Transaction ID:

VTJE1F013EC2

Authorization Code:

AVS Street Match:

AVS Zip Match:

International AVS Indicator:

Card Security Code Match:

Merchant:

laborlaw 

User:

laborlaw

Transaction Type:

C(Credit)

Credit Card Number:

3720XXXXXXX5008

Expiration Date:

07 / 2010

Amount:

 60.25

Comment 1:

Comment 2:

________________________________

Purchase Order / Merchant Reference #:

VQFE1F17BFC6

Customer Code:

Tax Amount:

 0.00

Shipping/Freight Amount:

 0.00

Duty Amount:

 0.00

Shipping Zip:

Shipping Country:

About Us
<https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/about-outside>  | 
Privacy
<https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/ua/policy_privacy-ou
tside>  | Security Center
<https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_security-center-outside>
| Contact Us <https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_contact_us>
| User Agreement
<https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/ua/ua-outside>  

Copyright (c) PayPal, Inc. All rights reserved. 

Thank you,

Michael Bishop
Labor Law Poster Service
Phone 877-321-4144
Fax 888-442-4144
[email-masked]