Subject: RE: transaction problems not resolved
From: "Lynch, David" <[email-masked]>
To: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 08:30:18 -0700

I will try something on my side, I can pull the declines for a whole
day, do you have a date range?  I will use the process of elimination
and locate these.  

 

David Lynch

Enterprise Account Management

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online

12312 Port Grace Blvd, La Vista, NE 98128

Direct  402 952 8848  |  Cell  402 253 5570

Skype  dvdlynch  |  Fax  402 537 5790  

 

________________________________

From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 9:28 AM
To: Lynch, David
Subject: Re: transaction problems not resolved

Our system doesn't record any responses for declines or errors.  It
displays them in a view box.  Our system only records once an order is
approved and processed.  I can tell you that I first emailed you about a
minute after we tried those transactions.  Overall, my data people have
told me that they have been getting quite a few declined.  They said
more than usual.  I told them to record the time and the result of the
transactions when they have that occur.

	----- Original Message ----- 

	From: Lynch, David <mailto:[email-masked]>  

	To: Mike <mailto:[email-masked]>  

	Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 10:16 AM

	Subject: RE: transaction problems not resolved

	What were the transaction numbers?  I need to look at each
transaction; the decline codes can be somewhat generic.  Sorry for the
back and forth.  

	 

	David Lynch

	Enterprise Account Management

	PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online

	12312 Port Grace Blvd, La Vista, NE 98128

	Direct  402 952 8848  |  Cell  402 253 5570

	Skype  dvdlynch  |  Fax  402 537 5790  

	 

________________________________

	From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
	Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 8:51 AM
	To: Lynch, David
	Subject: Re: transaction problems not resolved

	One was for $67.25 (error #15005) and the other was for $125.50
(error #10564).  Let me know what you find out.

	 

	----- Original Message ----- 

		From: Lynch, David <mailto:[email-masked]>  

		To: Mike <mailto:[email-masked]>  

		Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 9:36 AM

		Subject: RE: transaction problems not resolved

		What were the amounts and dates that you ran these
cards? 

		 

		David Lynch

		Enterprise Account Management

		PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online

		12312 Port Grace Blvd, La Vista, NE 98128

		Direct  402 952 8848  |  Cell  402 253 5570

		Skype  dvdlynch  |  Fax  402 537 5790  

		 

________________________________

		From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
		Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 8:29 AM
		To: Lynch, David
		Cc: Davis, Jason
		Subject: transaction problems not resolved

		David,

		We are still having problems with getting some different
Mastercards through.  Now instead of "Labor law" as the response, we got
15005 on one card and 10564 on the other.  Can you please follow up on
this for me please.

		Thank you,

		Michael Bishop
		Labor Law Poster Service
		Phone 877-321-4144
		Fax 888-442-4144
		[email-masked]