Subject: RE: Password reset (KMM285893041V74386L0KM) :ppNA
From: <[email-masked]>
To: "Michael Bishop" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 22:13:31 +0000 (UTC)

Dear Michael Bishop,
Thank you for contacting PayPal in reference to your password change. 
Your new password, listed below, takes effect immediately and is valid 
for 24 hours.

Your temporary password is: 123456a                                    

Once you log into PayPal Manager you will be required to change your 
password. If you are using Payflow Pro, you must also change the 
password used for your shopping cart or application (see below) or you 
can create a new "user" for the Payflow Pro API, which will eliminate 
having to change your shopping cart/application each time your PayPal 
Manager password is changed. A new Payflow Pro user can be created 
within PayPal Manager at https://manager.paypal.com.
Guidelines for creating strong passwords:
o             The passwords should not follow a pattern.
o             The password must be 7 to 32 characters long.
o             The password cannot be the same as your Login name.
o             The password must contain a mix of letters, numbers, 
and/or special characters.
o             Passwords containing only letters or only numbers are not 
allowed.
o             Single quotes, double quotes, ampersands and spaces are 
not allowed.
o             Passwords are case-sensitive and it is suggested to 
include at least one character of a different case.
It is important that you change your password regularly.
If you need additional assistance, please contact 
[email-masked] appreciate your business and thank you for
using PayPal as your payment gateway service.
For merchants using a single password for both PayPal Manager and the 
Payflow Pro API
Once your account has been updated with a new password the password 
within your web-server, your shopping carts or application must be 
updated to match the new password, otherwise transactions will begin to 
fail with a "User Authentication" / "Result code 1" error.
For more information regarding updating your web server, shopping cart, 
or application, please consult your web designer, shopping cart, or 
application vendor.
You can also set up a new user for the Payflow Pro API within Manager, 
so that future changes to your Manager password will not affect your 
transactions from processing.
 
Our new www.paypal-status.com site provides a fast and easy way to stay 
in the loop about the operational health of PayPal's products, APIs, and
Sandbox environment. Take a moment to discover the new 
www.paypal-status.com site.

Thank you for being part of the PayPal community.
Sincerely,
Nicole
PayPal Business Customer Service
PayPal
From: [email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, March 6, 2018 3:46:02 PM (-06:00)
Subject: Password reset

I, Joe Fata, request that Payflow Gateway Services reset my password for
PayPal Payflow Manager with a temporary one for the following Payflow 
Manager Merchant Login: corprecords. I understand that I will need to 
reset my password once I first log back into PayPal Payflow Manager.