Subject: RE: problem with credit card
From: "Vaughan, Janet" <[email-masked]>
To: "Lynch, David" <[email-masked]>, "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 15:16:44 -0700

Good Afternoon Michael,

I have left you a voice -mail with response to the question below along
with my contact information.  Please feel free to contact me should you
have any additional questions.

Thanks

Janet

 

________________________________

From: Lynch, David 
Sent: Thursday, July 09, 2009 3:56 PM
To: Mike
Cc: Vaughan, Janet
Subject: RE: problem with credit card

Mike,

I will forward to your new Account Manager.  Her contact info is:

Janet Vaughan [email-masked] 

 

Territory Manager - Business Development 

PayPal, The safer, easier way to pay online

7700 Eastport Pkwy, LaVista, NE  68128

Desk-402 952 8848 | Cell-402 253 5570 

Fax-888 365 8951 | [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 

 

________________________________

From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, July 09, 2009 3:03 PM
To: Lynch, David
Subject: problem with credit card

David,

I know you are not handling problems for us but I could not find the
contact person's info you sent me a while back.  We were having problems
with a few cards in the past day or so and I was wondering if someone
could look into it.  I have one from this morning that went through with
NPC but not with PayPal.  The transaction was attempted around 9 am
(est) for $125.50 and was a MasterCard ending in 6676.  If you could
forward this and maybe have the new person contact us since we not yet
been contacted.

Thank you,
Michael Bishop
Labor Law Poster Service
Phone 877-321-4144
Fax 888-442-4144
[email-masked]