Subject: RE: problem transaction
From: "Lynch, David" <[email-masked]>
To: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 12:04:05 -0600

Mike, Our system did have a drop and is now back up again.  That error
would be consistent with what my other merchant are telling me they have
received.  You should be up and running now.  

*****I will be Out of the Office the dates of May 27-28-29returning on
May 30th.  For emergencies during my absence please contact Robert
Jeltema [email-masked] will have my Blackberry and will be
checking Voice Mails*****

David Lynch

Enterprise Account Management

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online

12312 Port Grace Blvd, La Vista, NE 98128

Direct  402 952 8848  |  Cell  402 253 5570

Skype  dvdlynch  |  Fax  402 537 5790  

 

________________________________

From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 1:02 PM
To: Lynch, David
Subject: problem transaction

David,

We have been having some problems with getting a particular transaction
to go through.  We keep getting a "white screen" without any explanation
of why the transactions aren't being allowed.  The following transaction
ID responses are what I found in today's transactions (with "Field
format error"):

EQFP2BCAA229, EREP2BCF0264, ETHP2BDF628A

Can you check into this asap.

Thank you,

Michael Bishop
Labor Law Poster Service
Phone 877-321-4144
Fax 888-442-4144
[email-masked]