Subject: RE: another timed out
From: "Lynch, David" <[email-masked]>
To: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 08:59:08 -0600

It appears this charge did fail.  There was not charge for this and this
will be invisible to the buyer, it will need to be re-entered.  Thanks

 

David Lynch

Enterprise Account Manager 

PayPal.com 

The safest, easier way to pay online

12312 Port Grace Blvd, LaVista, NE 68128

Direct 402 952 8848 Cell 402 253 5570

[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>  

________________________________

From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, August 01, 2008 9:46 AM
To: Lynch, David
Subject: another timed out

David,

I just had another time out this morning.  We have not re-run the card.
I found the transaction and it had the same response as the others;
"Timed out waiting for processor".  The transaction number for this
transaction is: EQCP2D5B414E.   Can you go ahead and reverse this one
before I attempt to have this re-entered.  That way we don't cause any
alarms with the customer.  I would prefer they see nothing on their end
if possible.  Let me know asap.

Thank you,

Michael Bishop
Labor Law Poster Service
Phone 877-321-4144
Fax 888-442-4144
[email-masked]