Subject: RE: confirm credit for me?
From: "Lynch, David" <[email-masked]>
To: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 06:56:54 -0700

Mike, 

I have looked at the Buyers Account and I am tracking the refund all the
way back to their card, this is completed.  Thanks.

 

David Lynch

Enterprise Account Management

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online

12312 Port Grace Blvd, La Vista, NE 98128

Direct  402 952 8848  |  Cell  402 253 5570

Skype  dvdlynch  |  Fax  402 537 5790  

 

________________________________

From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2008 5:38 PM
To: Lynch, David
Subject: confirm credit for me?

David,

Can you confirm that the credit went to the correct customer for the
transaction we were speaking of earlier today?  When I put in the
EXJP1FA169CB trans number you gave me, the credit card number was not
displayed so I could confirm which credit card was being credited.  I
did get an approval for the credit which is EXGP2A465B4B.  Can you just
confirm that this went to the right account for me?

Thank you,

Michael Bishop
Labor Law Poster Service
Phone 877-321-4144
Fax 888-442-4144
[email-masked]