Subject: Chargeback case received: Case ID #PP-489-872-346�-
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 22:46:43 -0700

Dear Michael Bishop,

We were recently notified that one of your buyers filed a chargeback and
asked their card issuer to reverse a payment made to you.

Although a chargeback may appear to be similar to a PayPal claim, it is
actually a process initiated outside of PayPal and controlled by the card
issuer. One of the unique benefits of using PayPal is that we help you
fight unwarranted chargebacks and attempt to recover your funds.

It is up to the card issuer to decide whether or not they believe that the
buyer's chargeback is valid and they are asking for some information about
this transaction from you.

-----------------------------------
Transaction Details
-----------------------------------

Buyer's Name:
Buyer's Email:
Buyer's Transaction ID: 61P45592Y6186033F

Transaction Date:Apr 17, 2008
Transaction Amount:-$67.25 USDCase #:PP-489-872-346

Your Transaction ID: 61P45592Y6186033F

-----------------------------------
What to Do Next
-----------------------------------

Please submit your response within 10 calendar days so that we can process
the chargeback for you. Chargeback timeframes are determined by the card
issuer and they have requested that you reply with information as soon as
possible. Once they receive your information, it may take up to  75 days
for the card issuer to make a final decision.

-----------------------------------
Other Details
-----------------------------------

There are no other details regarding this transaction at this time.

Sincerely,

PayPal
Chargeback Department
Email: [email-masked]
Fax: 402-537-5755

CB:PP-489-872-346:USD67.25:06102008:61P45592Y6186033F

----------------------------------------------------------------

PayPal Email ID PP767