Subject: RE: I will get working on the "punch list": RE: Few things about the house
From: "McGraw, Michael" <[email-masked]>
To: "Liz Horford" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Joyce Wilson-Dempski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 21:12:56 -0400

Hi Mike, 

I'm glad to hear we're finally close to actually closing. That is great
news! 

Let me answer a few of your questions. 

The outlets are upside down for a reason. The outlets that are upside
down indicate that they are controlled by a switch. The top is
controlled by the switch (usually used for lamps) and the bottom of the
two is "always on" for clocks, etc. The light in the kitchen is probably
just burned out. That does happen from time to time as I'm sure you've
replaced bulbs in your current house. 

There is not a garage door opener on the third stall. We did the
pre-wire, but we did not put an opener in. If you would like one added,
we can do it for you for $350. We only add an opener to the third stall
when the customer requests it. Most people us it for storage and don't
need the opener. 

If a piece of wood on the deck needs to be replaced, Bob Morgensen will
make sure that gets noted on your walk-through. He will also explain all
the other features of your home (like the switched outlets, etc.) that
you may not be familiar with. We will make sure the house is clean prior
to your walk-through (that would include cleaning up the carpet). 

The landscaping package included topsoil, irrigation and hydromulch
(seed) for the entire yard - front and back - as well as a boulder
retaining wall at the front of the home...that eats up the majority of
the budget. If we had skimped on the quality of the soil or seed...or
done a less extensive sprinkler system, we could have certainly gotten
in done for less, but I don't think you would have been happy with the
long term results. I think you would be very surprised at the pricing if
you ever quoted this type of work out. This is a very reasonable package
for the investment. 

Feel free to call me if you have any questions. 

Mike McGraw - 616-988-1324. 

 

 

________________________________

From: Liz Horford
Sent: Thu 5/14/2009 8:21 PM
To: Mike
Cc: Liz Horford; [email-masked]; Joyce Wilson-Dempski;
([email-masked])
Subject: I will get working on the "punch list": RE: Few things about
the house

It is fairly normal for there to be a few small things with a project as
elaborate as a new home. I will see what I can do about the "fixes".
Eastbrook wants you to be happy with their home AND the experience.
Please don't apologize for writing a detailed list. It really makes it
easier for all concerned!

Open, honest communication is ALWAYS best. We appreciate your feedback
very much.

Let me know if you notice anything else or if I can be of assistance in
any other way.

Thanks,

Liz

Liz Horford, Real Estate Specialist, 20+years, TrustLiz.com

517 819 4LIZ (4549) [email-masked] Coldwell Banker Hubbell of
Greater Lansing, Delta Township,Dewitt,East Lansing,Okemos, Haslett,
Holt, Mason and the world :)

 

________________________________

From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thu 5/14/2009 9:51 AM
To: Liz Horford
Subject: Few things about the house

Hi Liz.

We went to the house yesterday.  We didn't actually get there until
almost 7 but we made it.  I am not trying to complain but there are a
few things I noticed that are either incomplete and/or need fixing.
First of all, the small garage still does not have the door opener
installed.  The big door has an opener.  I would think that should have
been included especially since they have not installed handles on either
door.  The wiring is there just sticking out of the wall but that is it.
The other thing I noticed is that there are quite a few light switches
that were installed upside down.  It makes me a bit nervous if what we
can see was not done correctly.

Also, the light over the sink in the kitchen does not work.  I guess the
bulb could be burned out and it could have been a bad bulb to start
with.  My concern is that the fixture itself is bad and will just keep
burning bulbs out (or it just doesn't work altogether).  Its a little
thing but on the upper deck, a piece of the railing is split and broken
in half.  That has been like that for some time because I noticed it
over a month ago when looking at the house and I picked it up and set it
on top of the railing.  It is a trim piece so it is just more for visual
appeal.  There are a few stains on the carpet in the basement by the
slider probably from workers going in and out.  The only other thing is
the minimal amount of landscaping done.  I remember something said that
the landscaping package was a 10K package that was to be pretty
elaborate.  If they paid 10K for what was done, I think they were
seriously overcharged.  The landscaping in some of the houses around are
really done up really nice.  There really isn't much of a comparison.
Again, I am not trying to be a complainer.  I am not like that.
However, I am a person who strives for excellence.  I expect that of
myself and hope that others would feel the same way.  I want to feel
that way about Eastbrook.  I haven't really said anything yet to Mike
because quite honestly I am a bit embarrassed of how long this process
has taken to get closed.  I know it is not anyone person that has caused
this but it is ultimately between Eastwood and us.  I know that Mike
probably understands what is going on but I am sure he is probably just
as frustrated with the situation as us.  I appreciate any help you can
lend in smoothing some of this stuff out.  Let me know your thoughts on
all of this.  Sorry to have written you a book.  Much appreciated!

Thank you,
Michael Bishop
[email-masked]