Subject: furniture warranty claim #4415
From: "Great White Bottling Inc." <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 12:59:36 -0600

Hello,
Thank you for sending your information. What we can do is replace the server
with an identical item from the store.

You'll need to return the item prior to or at the same time of getting
anything new. We are included a credit of $50.00 towards the delivery of the
new piece, and you can make delivery arrangements with the store.  When a
piece of furniture is replaced under our warranty, the warranty cancels on
that item, and you'll have 60 days to use the even exchange. After 60 days
you may need to file a new claim and start over with us.

Please allow a few days for the paperwork to be set up, and if you have not
been contacted by the store after that, follow up with a manager at the
store you purchased from. Let them know there is a even exchange set up and
they will assist you and provide further details.

Sincerely,

-- 
Great White Bottling, Inc.
[email-masked]
(888) 295-6457 toll-free