Subject: Re: New 800 # needed
From: Rachel Davis <[email-masked]>
To: Michael B <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2018 18:06:47 -0700

Hi Michael,

Good to hear from you. Currently Zayo does not provide 800# or any
telephone type of service. Our sister company Integra does that type of
solution. If interested I recommend reaching out to them directly.

Thanks!
Rachel

*Rachel DavisManager, Tranzact Inside Sales | Zayo Group 1805 29th Street |
Suite 2050 | Boulder, CO  80301 Desk: [email-masked]
<[email-masked]> Mission
<http://www.zayo.com/company/company-overview> | Network Map
<http://www.zayo.com/network/interactive-map> | LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/530962> | Twitter
<https://www.twitter.com/zayogroup>*

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 2:33 PM, Michael B <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hello Rachel.
> I had a question that I thought you may know the answer to or at least be
> able to direct me to someone who can answer it. I am in need of a new 800
> number for a new product we are testing for. In the past, we had an IT
> person that used to set these things up so I am not sure what he may have
> used for us in the past. I am not sure if we would purchase that from a
> phone provider or what. Any idea how I might go about getting this process
> started? I appreciate any help.
> Thank you,
> Michael Bishop
> Labor Law Poster Service
> 877-321-4144 x355 <(877)%20321-4144>
>