Subject: PartStore.com Order Update - Order Number 2618516
From: "PartStore.com Customer Care" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 05:49:54 -0400

Dear Michael Bishop,

Great news!  We have just shipped the part(s) for your PartStore.com order
number 2618516.

For your convenience, we have listed the details of your order below:

Order Number: 2618516

Manufacturer: General Electric
Part Description: Door Shelf Supp
Part Number: WR2X9296
Status: Shipped
Ship Date: 8/4/2006
Shipper : Federal Express  (www.fedex.com)
Tracking Number: 627590475874752

Your Shipping Address
-------------------------------------
Michael Bishop
2120 Holiday Lane
Lansing, Michigan  48917
US

We appreciate your business.  If you have any questions please email us at
[email-masked] or call 1-866-925-PART (7278), Mon-Fri 8 a.m.-midnight,
Sat 8 a.m.-11 p.m. or Sun 10 a.m.-9 p.m., EST.

Sincerely,

Customer Care
PartStore.com
http://www.partstore.com

Please remember PartStore.com for all of your consumer electronic,
appliance, computer, and cellular part and accessory needs.

-------------------------------------
NOTE: Returns must be authorized by contacting PartStore.com at
1-866-925-PART (7278) to obtain a Return Authorization Number.  Authorized
returns will be accepted up to 30 days from the delivery date of your
order.  Packages returned without a Return Authorization Number will not
be accepted.  All returned products must be in re-sellable condition,
including:  all components, manuals, registration cards, and original
undamaged packaging.  We cannot accept returns on electric or electronic
parts that have been installed.  Some returned parts may incur a
restocking fee.  Owner's Manuals, Service Manuals, Instruction Booklets,
Software, and Restore Kits and CD's can not be returned.