Subject: Your Monthly Statement is Now Available Online
From: "Chase Cardmember Services" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 19:52:40 -0400

Note: This is a service message with information related to your 
Chase account(s). It may include specific details about transactions, 
products or online services. If you recently cancelled your account, 
please disregard this message.

Dear MICHAEL A BISHOP,

The online monthly statement you requested for your account 
ending in 7388 is now available.

To view your statement: 

  * Log on to www.chase.com to access your account. 
  * From the My Accounts page click on "See Statements" 
    for your selected credit card account 
  * Click on the most recent statement date to view 
    your current statement 

Please do not reply to this message. For questions, please 
contact our Customer Support team at the number on the 
back of your card. 

Sincerely, 
Cardmember Services 

P.S. After you view your statement, why not pay your credit card 
bill online? Click the Pay credit card link under "I'd like to..." 
on the Statements page. No envelopes or stamps required, and best 
of all it's FREE! 

(c)2006 JPMorgan Chase & Co.

This email was sent to: [email-masked]