Subject: Retail Services Credit Card Payment Alert
From: "Best Buy Card" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 18:17:26 -0600

Please add [email-masked] to your address 
book to ensure email delivery.

Dear Valued Best Buy Cardmember,

This is a friendly reminder to let you know that we have not yet 
received your payment which was due on November 20, 2009, and 
is now past due. Please make your payment as soon as possible in 
order to avoid further fees and penalties. If you have already sent 
your payment please disregard this notice.

- Pay your bill online.
Sign in to Online Customer Care and click on the Payment Center 
to make your payment. If you would like your payment to post the 
same day you can use our online Rush Payment Service. There may 
be a nominal fee for Rush Payment services.
http://ebusiness.hsbcusa.com/1552158177.1351531.0.50964
- Pay by phone. 
Contact one of our Customer Service representatives at the number 
printed on the back of your card or on your billing statement to 
discuss or make arrangements for payment.
- Pay by mail.
Mail your payment to the address on your billing statement.

Thank You,
Best Buy Card Customer Care.

NOTE: This is an attempt to collect a debt. Any information 
obtained will be used for that purpose.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

ABOUT THIS MESSAGE
This email was sent to: [email-masked] 
for Account number ending in 3107. 

You are receiving this recurring email alert because you registered 
for Online Customer Care and elected to receive email alerts 
for your Best Buy Account.

If you do not wish to receive future email alerts for your 
Best Buy Account, please log in to Online Customer Care 
and update your email preferences at hrsaccount.com/bestbuy. 

ACCOUNT RELATED QUESTIONS
Do not reply to this message with Account-related questions. 
If you wish to submit a question, please contact us at hrsaccount.com/bestbuy.

We maintain strict security standards and procedures to prevent 
unauthorized access to information about you. HSBC Bank Nevada N.A. 
will never contact you by email or otherwise ask you to validate 
personal information such as your User ID, password or account numbers. 
If you receive such a request please notify us or call the number 
listed on the back of your card.
http://ebusiness.hsbcusa.com/1552158177.1351531.0.51001

HSBC Bank Nevada, N.A.
P.O. Box 703
Wood Dale, IL 60191-0703

(c)Copyright HSBC Finance Corporation. 2009. All Rights Reserved.

PRIVACY AND SECURITY
http://ebusiness.hsbcusa.com/1552158177.1351531.0.51186
TERMS OF USE
http://ebusiness.hsbcusa.com/1552158177.1351531.0.51149