Subject: Your Rebate Request From FordOwner.com Has Been Received
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 10:14:12 -0500

Dear MICHAEL BISHOP,	
 	
We have received your service rebate request for the promotion(s) listed
below; please keep this email with the tracking numbers for future
reference:	
 	
Rebate Requested	Service Date	Date Requested	Tracking Number	
$10 Rebate on The Works	2/16/2012	2/16/2012	DU456447	
 	
Please note: If we are unable to match the information provided with our
records; you will be required to mail, email, or fax a complete copy of
your detailed invoice or repair order showing the work performed at your
Ford or Lincoln dealership. We will notify you via email within the next
two weeks if this is required.	

You can check the status of your rebate on www.FordOwner.com/rebates
<http://www.FordOwner.com/rebates> , just login and select "Check my
rebate status" from the home page. You will need the tracking numbers in
this email, and your email address.	
 	
Please do not reply to this email. If you have any questions, please
contact Program Headquarters at (877) 310-3674.	
 	
Sincerely,	
 	
Program Headquarters