Subject: Your Return has been processed.
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2017 11:43:51 -0400

Dear MICHAEL,
 We're writing to let you know that your return has been processed.
 A credit has been applied to your original form of payment. It will
 appear on your account in the next few days - if it hasn't already.
 If you have any questions, please reply to this email or give us a
 call at 888-565-7862. We're at your service 24 hours a day seven
 days a week. (Which happens to be the same hours that PUMA.com is
 open for browsing. Just sayin'.)

 Sincerely,
 The PUMA Customer Service Team

Return Number:    2554575
Return Date:      6/28/17

Order Number:     6961723
Invoice Number:   5911106

                                                  QUANTITY     UNIT     EXTENDED
PRODUCT NUMBER       DESCRIPTION                  RETURNED    PRICE      CREDIT
886375223455         353572 11 US:10                   1      27.99        27.99

         Merchandise Net:                  27.99

                 Tax Amt:                   1.68
            Shipping Amt:                   0.00
                   Other:                   0.00
                                    ------------
                   Total:                  29.67

          Less Rnt Adjst:                   0.00
                                    ------------
          Credit Balance:                  29.67

NOTE: This return was resolved by issuing a credit.

****************************************************************
Customer Address:     MICHAEL BISHOP
                      8607 CARLSBAD LANE
                      LANSING MI 48917

Current Status Message: NOTIFIED

                             KB: 20 0000002554575 998347122          CN: