Subject: Status update for your SimpliSafe Emergency Dispatch Service
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2018 18:13:50 +0000 (UTC)

Michael,

We're writing to let you know that the Emergency Dispatch Service for your  
location 8607 Carlsbad Lane is now fully active. Your 3 day practice period  
is complete and you will now receive emergency dispatch in the event of an  
alarm.

Please make sure that you remember the "safe word" that you selected when you  
activated your Emergency Dispatch Service. In the event of a false alarm, you  
will need to provide this safe word to the dispatcher in order to cancel  
police dispatch. If you do not remember it, you may find it by logging into  
your account at http://simplisafe.com/account [1] and selecting your  
protected location in the top-left of your dashboard.

Also, if you have not already done so, please notify your friends and family  
that you now have a SimpliSafe alarm system installed. In particular, the  
contacts you provided when you activated your service will be called by our  
Emergency Dispatch Center in the event of an alarm. *If you would like any of  
them to be able to cancel police dispatch due to a false alarm, you must  
provide them with the "safe word."*

If you have any questions about your service, please be sure to contact us  
(1-888-957-4675).

Sincerely,
SimpliSafe Customer Service

This email was sent by SimpliSafe, Inc. [2] (294 Washington St, Floor 9,  
Boston, MA 02109).
You may unsubscribe [3] online. We respect your right to privacy [4].

[1] http://simplisafe.com/account
[2] http://simplisafe.com/
[3] http://simplisafe.com/unsubscribe?e=[email-masked]
[4] http://simplisafe.com/privacy-policy