Subject: Re: Pass codes to be changed/deleted
From: Meg Sparks <[email-masked]>
To: Michael B <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 17:31:23 -0400

Hi Mike,
Here is the information I can readily get my hands on regarding the
security system.

I would recommend changing the verbal pass code from: wordpass123 to
something else.  Just let me know what you would like it to be and advise
all key holder of the change.

When a signal is received Security Central does not call the location they
call the following people in this order.
1.)Steve
2.)Joe
3.)Angela
4.)Mike

Also, your system sends a test signal into the monitoring station every 28
days.  Attached is a report showing the last 90 days and all test signals
have been received.  So for what we can see all communication is good.  We
can make changes to this if you are uncomfortable with this 28 day timeline.

I have attached the directions on how to delete and add codes but let me
explain first.
Your MASTER code is always User # 02
all of the other users follow...
03
04
05
etc.

Using your current MASTER (_ _ _ _) code go to the keypad and press the
following
 4 digit MASTER (_ _ _ _) 803 #0
This will delete the code for User # 3

 4 digit MASTER (_ _ _ _) 804 #0
This will delete the code for User # 4

 4 digit MASTER (_ _ _ _) 810 #0
This will delete the code for User #10

If you are unsure on how many users you have in the system I would go thru
and delete User 3 - 25 or more to be safe.
If you feel that your Master code has been compromised you may want to
change that also.  Be sure that you note what you change it to and only
Management should have access to this code.  As you can see the Master code
is used to change programming in the panel.

Let me know if you need anything else and I have added to the work order
Mike already has going for you.
Thank you,
Meg

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 4:46 PM, Michael B <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hello Meg.
> I need to make some changes to the pass codes to our system and was hoping
> you could call me walk me through it. We had some employees leave that need
> to be removed. Also, we are gonna need new keys made for the building. I
> can talk to Mike more about that when he comes to make the repairs next
> week. Please do call me asap.
> Thank you,
> Michael Bishop
> Labor Law Poster Service
> 517-775-4916 <(517)%20775-4916>
>