Subject: RE: warranty
From: "Wagner, Mike" <[email-masked]>
To: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Davis, Justin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 12:32:07 -0500

Mike I will forward your message to Justin, but I don't believe I can
swap out the t-1 cards for the sake of doing it.  But let me get some
feed back before I say this for sure.

Michael J. Wagner

Title:  Account Executive

Voice:     517-853-6104

Fax:         517-853-6001

[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 

 

 

Formerly GEE! Communications & Network Solutions

________________________________

From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 12:12 PM
To: Wagner, Mike
Subject: warranty

Mike,

I wanted to touch base with you again before our warranty runs out on
our equipment.  I last contacted you back in October.  I do not believe
I have heard from anyone since.  I forgot myself.  Things have just
started picking up for us and we are about to get into "the middle of
it".  Our system has been fine when it has been slow so there have not
been too many chances to check the reliability of the cards.  I am still
not comfortable that everything is completely solid.  The system went
down last week and had to be re-set twice.  The T1 provider (Diversified
in AZ) bounced the T1s and the second time they came back up.  I really
can not afford to have any of our lines down.  Can you check again and
maybe we should look at swapping out those cards while they are still
warranteed.  Let know what you think can be done to "sure-up" everything
for the busy season.  Thanks for your promptness in dealing with this.

Sincerely,

Michael Bishop
Labor Law Poster Service
Phone 877-321-4144
Fax 888-442-4144
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>