Subject: RE: T1 card & headsets
From: "Wagner, Mike" <[email-masked]>
To: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 09:18:50 -0400

Let me check with Pat Mitchell and Brian Beebe about the T-1 cards and
see what they think we should do.  I will attach a headset brochure for
you so you can review what is available.  Remember you will need to
program two lighted buttons on all the telephones you are going to use a
head set on. A "headset status" and headset hangup" button will need to
be programmed.  You will need a "HIC" cord that plugs into the bottom of
the 4412D+ and the 4424D+ and then a headset itself.  Do to sanitary
purposes, I cannot let you try a headset and then return it.  Many
customers purchase a couple first to try them out and then buy the style
they most like.  Let me know which Style you would like me to get prices
on.  

Michael J. Wagner

GEE! Communications & Network Solutions

(517) 853-6104

(888) 433-9449 (Ext. 6104)

[email-masked]

 

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 1:43 PM
To: Wagner, Mike
Subject: T1 card & headsets

Mike,

I wanted to touch base with you about a couple of things.  If you
remember about a month or so ago I spoke to you about my concern
regarding our T1 cards.  I just want to make sure that we are in good
shape going into our busy season.  I have not had as many "drops" lately
where I have had to reset the phones.  However, we have only a minimal
amount of calls coming through right now.  I think that when we had last
"ticketed" these troubles, they may have been forgotten since the other
problems were more pressing.  I am not sure how we test the card but if
it can't, we should probably replace the card.  I know it should be
under warranty.  I just don't want to get into the middle of everything
and have to be fighting to be on-line with phones.

Let me know when we can get this scheduled.

Next I would still like a quote for headsets.  I think I remember you
had told me that you have a couple of styles to choose from.  If you
could get me a quote for 30 for any and all kinds that are compatible
with our phone system.  I am going to be asking the guys soon and I need
some numbers to work with.

Thanks,

Michael Bishop
Labor Law Poster Service
Phone 877-321-4144
Fax 888-442-4144
[email-masked]