Subject: RE: follow-up
From: "Wagner, Mike" <[email-masked]>
To: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 09:04:42 -0500

Good Morning Mike;

Yes I did get your email and I am sorry I did not respond to you that
day.  It has been a whirl wind month an I am always a week behind.  I
wish I could say I was selling well but at least business' are looking
again.  I have forward this email to Sherry Campbell here at SPS.  She
will put in a trouble ticket to get some one out there.  I will attach
the headset reference sheet again.  The pricing for the HIC cable is
$35.00 and the Headsets run $110.00 to $120.00 depending on the style.
Now I can usually offer a 20% discount on these.  The wireless headsets
run around $375.00.  Again, I can discount these about 20%.

Mike I have not been able to respond quickly to repair questions not
only with you, but with other customer as well.  Process has changed her
and in order to get the same quick service please call 1-888-777-7281.
Your repair will get to either Sherry Campbell or Anne Doyle in a hurry
and we can take care of your issues immediately.  If that fails call my
cell at 517-202-3422.  Thanks again.

Michael J. Wagner

Title:  Account Executive

Voice:     517-853-6104

Fax:         517-853-6001

[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 

 

 

Formerly GEE! Communications & Network Solutions

________________________________

From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 4:25 PM
To: Wagner, Mike
Subject: follow-up

Mike,

I was wondering if you got my last email.  It seems as though we are
still having problems with a couple of our fax lines.  I have already
had AT&T check the outside connections and this seems to be good there.
The problem has been happening since the last change we made to the
system a few weeks ago.  Let me know when we can have this fixed.

Thanks,

Michael Bishop
Labor Law Poster Service
Phone 877-321-4144
Fax 888-442-4144
[email-masked]