Subject: RE: tech question
From: "Wagner, Mike" <[email-masked]>
To: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 12:30:12 -0500

Mike Our office closed at 12:00 noon today.  Call Sherry Campbell first
thing Tuesday morning to enter a ticket and maybe Jeff Parsons can get
Brain Bebee or Brian Gutridge out there on Tuesday!  Sherry's number is
853-6015.

Michael J. Wagner

Title:  Account Executive

Voice:     517-853-6104

Fax:         517-853-6001

[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 

 

 

Formerly GEE! Communications & Network Solutions

________________________________

From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, December 22, 2006 11:49 AM
To: Wagner, Mike
Subject: Re: tech question

Mike,

Is there any way we can have someone come out by Tuesday to do this for
us?  I am sorry this is so last minute.  I was not informed of this
until the installer came out yesterday.  Let me know what you think.

Mike -LLPS

	----- Original Message ----- 

	From: Wagner, Mike <mailto:[email-masked]>  

	To: Mike <mailto:[email-masked]>  

	Sent: Friday, December 22, 2006 11:41 AM

	Subject: RE: tech question

	Are the two lines in the back both Digital telephones?  Since
the digital telephone only needs a pair of wire it is possible to split
the wire and make a dual jack. One for the digital phone and one for the
postage meter.  We may not have to run a new wire this way, but use the
one already in place.  It would require a tech visit and time to split
and re-terminate the wires.   

	Michael J. Wagner

	Title:  Account Executive

	Voice:     517-853-6104

	Fax:         517-853-6001

	[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 

	

	 

	Formerly GEE! Communications & Network Solutions

	
________________________________

	From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
	Sent: Friday, December 22, 2006 9:38 AM
	To: Wagner, Mike
	Subject: Re: tech question

	Mike,

	The meter is back in our shipping dept. (in the back of the
building).  Are we able to use one of the two lines in the back will we
need to move the meter to a phone line each time need to fill the
machine?  The problem is distance.  Is there a way to use the output on
the phone stationed back in shipping?  I am trying to avoid having to
run a line to the back.  Let me know what you think.

	Thanks,

	Mike -LLPS

	 

		----- Original Message ----- 

		From: Wagner, Mike <mailto:[email-masked]>  

		To: Mike <mailto:[email-masked]>  

		Sent: Friday, December 22, 2006 8:23 AM

		Subject: RE: tech question

		Mike:

		On the front of the 403 core unit itself there are two
POTS(analog) Station Ports for analog devices. They are two vertical
ports on the front of the machine.  You can use these for your new
postage meter.  Is one of your fax machines plugged into one of these
ports?  You can always use a fax line as well.

		Michael J. Wagner

		Title:  Account Executive

		Voice:     517-853-6104

		Fax:         517-853-6001

		[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 

		

		 

		Formerly GEE! Communications & Network Solutions

		
________________________________

		From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
		Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2006 3:25 PM
		To: Wagner, Mike
		Subject: tech question

		Mike,

		We have a new postage meter which periodically needs to
access an outside phone line.  Can we unplug our shipping phone and plug
in the meter?  I was not sure what kind of line we have now with T1s.
can you check on this for me.  I hope it doesn't require anything
special because I need this to be in place by next Tuesday Dec. 26th.
Thanks for your help. 

		Michael Bishop
		Labor Law Poster Service
		Phone 877-321-4144
		Fax 888-442-4144
		[email-masked]