Subject: Fwd: Policy Explanation - [Incident: 130821-004352]
From: Joey Sheets <[email-masked]>
To: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 21:47:36 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Stamps.com <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 8:44 PM
Subject: Policy Explanation - [Incident: 130821-004352]
To: [email-masked]

**
 * *  * Stamps.com Response Via Email (Gloria Z)*08/21/2013 05:44 PM Dear
Joey,

This e-mail is to inform you that we attempted to reach you by phone today
regarding your issue. We would like to help you as much as possible with
this and reach an acceptable solution for you.

What would be the best time to contact you and the best number at which we
can reach you? If you would like to reach a supervisor directly, you may
call us at our special Supervisor Line of 877-395-4918 (option #4). Our
hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 6 AM to 6 PM Pacific Time.

If you prefer to communicate via e-mail, please do not respond to this
e-mail.

You may e-mail us at the Office of the President’s e-mail address of
[email-masked].

Thank you for your time. We always want to do everything that we can to
ensure our customers have a positive experience when working with
Stamps.com.

Respectfully,

Gloria Z
Customer Relations Supervisor
Stamps.com   [---001:000783:14090---]