Subject: RE: [ ] orders improperly processed
From: "Dooley, Ryan" <[email-masked]>
To: "Mike" <[email-masked]>, "Bridges, Josh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 13:38:22 -0400

Confirmed.  We'll address this issue immediately.  Thanks.

________________________________

From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 1:39 PM
To: Dooley, Ryan; Bridges, Josh
Subject: [ ] orders improperly processed

Hello all.
I was just given a couple of orders from the shipping dept. that were
not processed properly.  The first is "Greater St. Paul AME Church" in
Miami, FL and the second is K & R Fasteners Inc. in Port Richey, FL
(processed by Darren G and Donnita K) .  Both were put in as ALABAMA
single set orders.  Can you reiterate that there is no need for anyone
to "View all Products" unless they need to order multiple states or
really need posters for another state.  I went ahead and had the
information updated manually.  
Thank you,
Michael Bishop
Labor Law Poster Service
Phone 877-321-4144
Fax 888-442-4144
[email-masked]