Subject: FW: canceled orders
From: "Bridges, Josh" <[email-masked]>
To: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 17:04:17 -0500

________________________________

From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2008 2:51 PM
To: Bridges, Josh
Subject: canceled orders

Josh,

We had two cancellations; Order #449918 for 3-csets, phone number is
205-980-4750 and the second, Order #450884 for 1-cset, phone number
559-438-8181.  Please adjust sales to show this. The single set order
customer called in and stated they never ordered. They claim the rep.
called back and left a message that they were placing the order for
them.  Is this possible?  The customer insists that a message was left
sometime after they hung up.  Can you follow up on this please?  I think
I would like the recording on this one.

Thank you,

Michael Bishop
Labor Law Poster Service
Phone 877-321-4144
Fax 888-442-4144
[email-masked]